calling for a student of vocal music

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Burning Petard

calling for a student of vocal music

Post by Burning Petard »

I learned about circular breathing when I was working on learning to play the didgeridoo. It involves pulling air into the lungs from the nose, and simultaneously out the mouth, to produce a continuous tone. I have a recording from a dance band at a New Year's Eve party where a trumpeter held a single note for more than 6 minutes. He used circular breathing, not recording studio technology.

Is circular breathing used in human singing, ever?

Thanks, Snailgate

Joe Guy

Re: calling for a student of vocal music

Post by Joe Guy »

I'm not a student of vocal music but I think inhaling while singing might give a person some unusual sound effects but wouldn't do anything for sustaining "normal" notes. It might be a good lung exercise though. Just my opinion....

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Since inhalation and exhalation are caused by pressure differentials between the lungs and the atmosphere outside the body caused by the movement of the abdominal diaphragm changing the volume (and thus changing the air pressure inside) of the thoracic cavity, I can't for the life of me see how one can be inhaling and exhaling at the same time, whether they are singing, blowing a trumpet, or talking out of their ass a la Dumb'old J. Trump.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Sean

Post by Sean »

Circular breathing doesn't involve inhaling and exhaling simultaneously. This is how it works:

1.) Inhale.
2.) Instead of exhaling all of the air, allow some to be stored in your cheeks.
3.) Push this air out whilst inhaling to keep a steady flow of exhaled air.
4.) Repeat.

It cannot be used for vocals as there isn't a continuous flow of air through the larynx.

I think that made sense... :)
Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?