Even Stiller

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Long Run

Even Stiller

Post by Long Run »

Serenity now, or Festivus for the rest of us. Thanks for making life a bit more enjoyable.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/11/us/jerry ... index.html

Scooter

Re: Even Stiller

Post by Scooter »

Was never my cup of tea. Neither is his son. Anne Meara, on the other hand, I could watch all day long.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Personally, I think they both did their best work when they performed together, but that was a long time ago. I also liked each as well well they performed solo, and do think Jerry raised the angry/crazy old man to a new level, both in Seinfeld and King of Queens.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I must be alone in having not been able to stomach either one of them. Never thought one thing they did was funny. UGH.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Give this a chance:

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Really?

RayThom

Even Stiller

Post by RayThom »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:31 pm
... I must be alone in having not been able to stomach either one of them. Never thought one thing they did was funny. UGH.
Death is easy -- comedy is hard.

No doubt about it, it's a subjective art form. I really disliked Lucille Ball's physical comedy, but George Carlin and Steven Wright's brand of intellectual humor always had me laughing my ass off.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Absolutely; I like to pride myself on having a good sense of humor, but there are some comedians, including a man who made some barely tolerable (to me) films in the 50s and 60s (but is supposedly recognized as a "genius" in France) and some who are wildly popular in the present, who I don't find funny and even cannot stand. To each his/her own.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Big RR wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:37 pm
Absolutely; I like to pride myself on having a good sense of humor, but there are some comedians, including a man who made some barely tolerable (to me) films in the 50s and 60s (but is supposedly recognized as a "genius" in France) and some who are wildly popular in the present, who I don't find funny and even cannot stand. To each his/her own.
Qu'est-ce que c'est? Vous n'aimez pas Jacques Tati? Sacre bleu! Merde!

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I think he is referring to someone whose work was a U.S. export to France.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Big RR wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:37 pm
To each his/her own.
de gustibus for the rest of us?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Perhaps, or chacun a son gout (or something like that, my French is very rusty).

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

The comedian that I find funny is rare. Steve Martin, back in the 70's, Rich Little when he was on Carson, Adam Sandler, the Not Ready For Prime Time Players on the first couple of seasons of SNL could get me going. The TV show Frasier would have me howling on occasion, particularly the actor who played Niles who had incredible comedic timing for my taste. Jerry Lewis might have made me laugh when I was 5, but as an adult I cannot fathom why anyone thinks he is/was funny. Milton Beryl, Laurel and Hardy, Bob Hope (singularly not funny) all those of that generation, not funny.