Rembrandt's 'The Night Watch' in detail.

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

They are restoring 'The Night Watch' (actually 'Militia Company of District II under the Command of Captain Frans Banninck Cocq') so they took a bunch of very high resolution pictures. You can zoom in to minute detail here.

In a sense, it's kind of missing the point. I stood in front of this in 1968 having walked a mile in the sunshine from the Heineken Brewery - a tour and a sample or two of what I then thought was one of the world's great beers. (It's OK, I'm better now.) This picture is approx 12 x 14 feet so it won't fit over your mantlepiece. 168 sq feet = more than five 4 x 8 sheets. I've had smaller apartments. You have to stand back 20 feet or more just to see what's going on.

It's one of those sights that is so awe-inspiring that you don't forget it. All the more so in my case because I wasn't expecting it. My friend Sid and I were hitchhiking around Europe: he to see the cultural sites and me to swig as much free beer as possible. So our planned itinerary - apart from sleeping rough for three weeks with an occasional night in a youth hostel to get a shower because after a while you can't get upwind of yourself - was a mixed bag of brewery and museum visits. Sid insisted on the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam - I had no idea. He was familiar with this painting from books and as far as I recall I wasn't. Some things take your breath away and sober you right up. If you are even in Amsterdam please see this picture.

Slightly cropped:

Gob

Re: Rembrandt's 'The Night Watch' in detail.

Post by Gob »

Thanks for sharing
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

A companion piece. Things I never knew about the artist.

Thanks, x-kA
A Cocq and bull story

So did The Night Watch really lead to Rembrandt’s downfall? Perhaps we should look closely at the painting, not for any clues to a conspiracy to murder, but to see how Rembrandt deviated from the norms of a sub-genre that was very popular in the new Dutch Republic: the civic militia portrait, or The Guardroom Scene. And we can make up our minds as to whether the painting might have brought displeasure to those who’d commissioned it."

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/201 ... gle.com%2F
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Thanks Ray - I hadn't seen that.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

RijksmuseumI have visited the Rijksmuseum. Awesome experience.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

RijksmuseumI have visited the Rijksmuseum?

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Joe Guy wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:18 pm
RijksmuseumI have visited the Rijksmuseum?
See I just should not try to post on mobile because JOE. But then I suppose I make your day with my gaffes.