Foreign films you've liked.

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Darren

Post by Darren »

There's a small move theater with 25 or 30 seats in Buckhannon, WV located in the basement of what used to be a hardware store. None of the films shown are what would be considered big box office stuff. Most are subtitled foreign films that are shown on Fri. and Sat, nights. I'm not sure if I saw this film there.

Not only was Omar Sharif good in the part, the film had a hidden back story that may or may not be realized at the end. If you're interested in Sufism, you'll understand.

Thank you RBG wherever you are!

MajGenl.Meade

Re: Foreign films you've liked.

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I have enjoyed several US films, even though they are in a foreign language.

This one was also not in English but is excellent:

This one was crap in any language:

This one remains brilliant:

This one sucked so bad I turned it off in the first ten minutes:

That's enough movies
Ed
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Darren wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:55 pm
... Not only was Omar Sharif good in the part, the film had a hidden back story that may or may not be realized at the end. If you're interested in Sufism, you'll understand.

No one here with an interest in Islamic mythology or not, is going to watch this flick.

Please, Darren, tell us all about the hidden back story "acorn" that you were so able to extrapolate.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

RayThom wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:00 pm
Darren wrote:
... Not only was Omar Sharif good in the part, the film had a hidden back story that may or may not be realized at the end. If you're interested in Sufism, you'll understand.

No one here with an interest in Islamic mythology or not, is going to watch this flick.

Please, Darren, tell us all about the hidden back story "acorn" that you were so able to extrapolate.
You should only speak for yourself; I actually looked the movie up, read the rave reviews and being a huge fan of Omar Sharif, it's on my watchlist.

Even a blind squirrel . . .
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:06 pm
You should only speak for yourself; I actually looked the movie up, read the rave reviews and being a huge fan of Omar Sharif, it's on my watchlist... Even a blind squirrel . . .
If you find the hidden Sufist backstory be sure to let Darren know. You'll finally have something in common to talk about.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I watch a lot of foreign films, I love the window into other cultures I'll probably never get to visit firsthand. This one is older, but one of the most delightful.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Darren

Post by Darren »

RayThom wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:00 pm
Darren wrote:

I don't know if it will help, Ray. The movie is worth watching just for Omar Sharif learning how to drive a stick shift sports car when he's never driven a car before.

If you're committed to the Christian concept of being rewarded or punished by a sky daddy for eternity for your deeds during an inconsequential amount of time, compared to eternity; Sufism, Buddhism, etc. are not for you. It's still a good story w/o the "other" aspects.

The back story may not be revealed with the WTF? at the end for some. Watch it for yourself.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

For obvious reasons, many of the foreign films I am drawn to are Italian:

The Garden of the Finzi-Continis, based on the semi-autobiographical novel by Giorgio Bassani, about a circle of Jewish family and friends living under Mussolini's racial laws and through WWII.

Two Women (the Italian title means "the woman of Ciociaria", a region south of Rome), for which Sophia Loren won the first acting Oscar awarded for a foreign language role, the story of a woman and her daughter trying to survive the hardships of WWII:

Bicycle Thieves, a stolen bicycle threatens a family's livelihood in postwar Rome:

The Leopard, a Sicilian noble family tries to adapt to the overthrow of the Bourbon Kingdom of Two Sicilies and its absorption into the new Kingdom of Italy:

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

This is one of my favorite foreign films:

There have been quite a few other good foreign films made in the same country. Too many to mention.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Joe Guy wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:44 pm
This is one of my favorite foreign films:

There have been quite a few other good foreign films made in the same country. Too many to mention.
Have you seen The Magic Christian? Image

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Darren wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:57 pm
Have you seen The Magic Christian?
Yes. It gave me excellent insight into the British culture.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

I liked this one:

When I was in Rome, I used this movie to inspire me to find the perfect plate of noodles -- a spaghetti western remake if you will. 8-)

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Knife In the Water. Directed (produced) by Roman Polanski. I saw it in an art house in Kansas City Mo. in late 1963. B&W with subtitles. Only three characters, in Polish. This was the first really foreign film I saw, so that probably had a big part in why I was so impressed. I was very young and a social introvert. The movie surprised me on many levels by the way it hit me in spite of no color, no real action, limited cast. The emotional tension communicated so forcefully it caught me completely by surprise. By the end of the movie, I was 'seeing' the sub-titles and following the dialogue seamlessly. The emotional impact was very similar to my reaction to Burton and Taylor in 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf'

I was completely revolted vey Polanski's later sexual conduct and that was the only film of his that I have seen.

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

This is one I saw recently and can recommend wholeheartedly:

~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Darren wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:48 pm
compared to eternity; Sufism, Buddhism, are not for you
The problem with Sufi / Buddhist epics is that it's so long to the intermission
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

and many more...

"Suspiria", "The Ring" and "The Intouchables" are not to be confused with the appalling shite American rip offs.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Intouchables was a brilliant film, so much so that I just refused to even bother with the American remake.
~ Carl Sagan

Darren

Post by Darren »

3 Iron is a Korean film that features a bike messenger that distributes restaurant menus. He always sticks them to a door so they cover up the key hole.

On subsequent trips he looks for undisturbed menus, picks the lock, lets himself in and checks the message on the telephone answering machine. If the people are away for some reason, he makes himself at home, does his laundry, etc.

He's not a total parasite, he fixes things in the home that are broken. Including at the last one, a woman.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Darren wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:25 pm
... He's not a total parasite, he fixes things in the home that are broken. Including at the last one, a woman.

Darren, you're leaving me hanging here.

That woman -- what was broken that the interloper needed to fix?

Darren

Post by Darren »

RayThom wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:47 pm
Darren wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:25 pm
... He's not a total parasite, he fixes things in the home that are broken. Including at the last one, a woman.

Darren, you're leaving me hanging here.

That woman -- what was broken that the interloper needed to fix?
Remain hanging unless you see the film. You'll enjoy it.