Assuignment: Earth

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Damn I wish Jim was here for this one.

Watching Star Trek TOS. Season 2 episode 26 I can’t help but wonder what if that spin off had taken off and wonder if is still could be executed today.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

RayThom

Assignment: Earth

Post by RayThom »

Crackpot wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:42 am

Watching Star Trek TOS. Season 2 episode 26 I can’t help but wonder what if that spin off had taken off and wonder if is still could be executed today.
Errand of Mercy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Errand_of_Mercy
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Re: Assignment: Earth

Post by BoSoxGal »

RayThom wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 3:27 am
Crackpot wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:42 am

Errand of Mercy
Wrong, that's season one.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Re: Assuignment: Earth

Post by BoSoxGal »

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

Assignment: Earth

Post by RayThom »

RayThOM wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:17 am
Errand of Mercy
BoSoxGal wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:17 am
Wrong, that's season one.
I thought I was wrong but the episode number matched. Thanks for the correct episode. Regardless, I don't think I saw this one, either.

I was never a ST/TOS fan. Too many shaking cameras and blinking Christmas lights. I don't think I became a regular viewer until Patrick Stewart made the scene.

TOS was mediocre cheap theatre at best. Shatner is/was way too full of himself.

PS. To this day I have not viewed a complete episode of the Star Wars series, either.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

TOS has its moments for both cheese and good sci if.

The episode in question was supposed to be a spin-off which would have been interesting as it operated on a completely different vein of sci-fi. And it would be interesting to see it integrated into the rest of the Star Trek universe

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Crackpot what are your thoughts on Discovery? I just watched it a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it, looking forward to season 3 - but I’ve seen some really negative fan reviews.

I’m very excited that CBS All Access is developing another series of ST Enterprise with Captain Pine and Spock in the years before Kirk. Frankly Kirk is the least of the ST commanders, IMHO.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I really don’t have much time to watch network tv these days. If it isn’t on Netflix I haven’t seen it and that’s usually a few months late as well.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Kirk set the standard. And I really enjoy the camp aspect of TOS. Watching Kirk Chew on the scenery in the “yangs” vs. “comms” episode is priceless.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

CBS All Access is a streaming service, several of the shows air there and not on the regular network. I never watch any network anymore, refuse to navigate advertisements - the only exception I make is for my few news shows on CNN and MSNBC via YouTubeTV where ads can be FFW.

Anyway you should check out Discovery sometime - it’s only maybe a dozen episodes per season, and the CGI is universally praised as fantastic. The storylines and acting are pretty great, too.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Crackpot wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:12 pm
watching Kirk Chew on the scenery
I though that character was played by George Takei?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I liked some elements of Discovery, but plot and character development goes off in too many directions without really managing to gel - war with the Klingons, a nefarious element within Starfleet, an alternate universe, half-explored back stories, characters undergoing radical transformations of consciousness. It was sometime hard to absorb and make sense of it all. But I will stick with it.

ST: Picard was much more cohesive, and different from TNG in ways that were interesting, rather than jarring. I'll also be interested to see what the Section 31 series is like, even though those storylines on DS9 were among my least favourite.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

I'll be a bit more excited once I see T'Pol gets her own spinoff.

She can Vulcanize my rubber any day.

(On assessing others)
It proves that even the most disagreeable species have some positive attributes."

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Kirk set the standard
And William Shatner made that happen. He IS a genuine badass, just like the character he helped create. Here is a clip of him, at age 86. being tossed overboard by his horse during competition. Most men his age would have wound up in rehab with weeks of PT. Captain Kirk got up and won the competition. He is a beast.

I watched Discovery and things picked up in season 2. I am not convinced I am invested in the characters enough to endure season 3 though as there will be radical differences. The new series with Pike and number 1 has me excited.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Re. The overly pretentious Shat...

The guy will shill anything... for a price.

William Shatner Beef Video. Rant. Why Future CPAP users Should Hate William Shatner.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Well that was a huge waste of my time. I kept waiting for..something anything interesting to come of it, but NOPE. Thanks a lot.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Just watching “And the children shall lead”. I’m convinced that episode has a subtext about the evils of masturbation.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Is that the episode with Landrew as the leader?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

No it’s the episode where the kids control the crew with faux masturbation. .

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Crackpot wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:47 pm
No it’s the episode where the kids control the crew with faux masturbation. .
That sounds very odd. Especially with TOS being so family oriented.

As I mentioned earlier, I didn't get into the ST franchise until Picard showed up. I've yet to view every episode, and probably never will.