Before the Brent Building office suite

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Long Run

Before the Brent Building office suite

Post by Long Run »

Looking forward to this reimagined Perry Mason.

TPFKA@W

Re: Before the Brent Building office suite

Post by TPFKA@W »

Ugh. John Lithgow though....

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

I'll try not to make too many spoilers, but the Lithgow glow dims pretty quickly so don't let his presence deter you.

This is nothing like the original series -- it is as much Perry Mason as Elementary is Sherlock Holmes (even less so, in fact). But, it is pretty good tv, and the first season sets up a promising series ahead. (You have to get by the first episode or two, which are a dark shade of noir). It has a lot of Hollywood current day check marks, so that is annoying, e.g., Perry is an anti-hero whose flaws may outweigh his virtues, and suffers severe PTSD which makes him vary between a complete a-hole and an on the edge barrister. The court room writing on the whole is nowhere near as good as the original series (which almost always did a good job on rules of evidence, if the last minute confession was a cliche). But, if you leave behind the original series and just appreciate the current show for what it is, there are good and interesting characters, the story lines are solid, and the acting varies between good and excellent. I'm looking forward to the next installment.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Turned it off three weeks ago after the first 10 minutes. It I wanted to watch dreck, I'd spend more time in the bathroom
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Forgot to note: NSFM. :D

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

:ok
Long Run wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:04 pm
Forgot to note: NSFM. :D
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

It's not really like the series, more like the books where Mason was a sleazy anti hero (who pretty much played fast and loose with the law); the first season of the series had a little of that, but he went from being a guy in the shadows to a celebrated attorney.

As for the series and the rules of evidence; Mason always got a way with a lot more than any attorney ever could, usually after Berger's objection and the judge saying "I'm going to give him a little leaway here.

But if you get through the belabored noir of the first two installments of this series, it gets more interesting. And you're right, it is NSFM.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

'll try not to make too many spoilers, but the Lithgow glow dims pretty quickly so don't let his presence deter you.
You mistake my meaning, I love John Lithgow and he might have been the only thing that would get me to watch the show. It does not sound to me like it would be worth subscribing to HBO just to watch it. In a few years it will be on Hulu and I will watch it then.