Warning!! Warning!!! WARNING!!

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Gob

Warning!! Warning!!! WARNING!!

Post by Gob »

This 40 year old film may not conform to your 2020 norms snowflake....

Sky has warned viewers that Breakfast at Tiffany's, Flash Gordon, Aladdin and even a version of The Jungle Book from as recently as 2016 have 'outdated values', as broadcasters respond to concerns that some content is no longer acceptable.

Sky Cinema, the broadcasting giant's movie service, has issued a disclaimer to its subscribers that some of its content 'has outdated attitudes, languages and cultural depictions which may cause offence today'.

Sixteen films have the warning, including The Goonies, Aliens, Dumbo, Gone With The Wind, Lawrence of Arabia, Tropic Thunder, The Jazz Singer, The Littlest Rebel, The Lone Ranger, Balls of Fury and The Last Samurai.

A warning was also issued alongside 1980 hit Flash Gordon, with the films antagonist, Ming the Merciless, played by Max von Sydow, viewed as a classic example of 'Yellow Peril' xenophobia.

The 1939 romance Gone With The Wind, set in the south during the American Civil War and Reconstruction, has been issued with a disclaimer.

This comes after comes after streaming service HBO Max removed Gone With The Wind following criticism of its 'racist depictions'.

Some more recent movies, including The Lone Ranger, Balls of Fury, The Last Samurai and Tropic Thunder, also have warnings attached to them.

Lawrence of Arabia, Trading Places, The Jazz Singer, The Littlest Rebel and The Goonies have also been given disclaimers.

Many Twitter users have reacted in anger at Sky Cinema's disclaimer on the 1986 film Aliens, with some feeling that the warning discredits a film with a 'strong female lead for no reason'.

Aliens follows the story of Ellen Ripley, played by Sigourney Weaver, who is sent to a planet to make contact with a terraforming colony and has to fight them to survive. A spokesperson from Sky said the film contains the disclaimer because it features a non-Hispanic actress playing the role of an Hispanic character.

Sky say that they are reviewing a number of their titles across their platform and are adding any warnings where they think it necessary to flag issues of cultural sensitivities and attitudes which may cause offence as part of its broader commitment to tackle racial injustice.

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

ex-khobar Andy

Re: Warning!! Warning!!! WARNING!!

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I recently went to a performance of Hamlet with a non-Dane (Benedict Cumberbatch) in the lead. I enjoyed it. I am so ashamed.

And Mr Ed reruns. Apparently Mr Ed is voiced by a non-equine. And don't, please, remind me of Ringo Starr doing all the Thomas the Tank Engine voices. Oh, the humanity!