The Plot against America and Years and Years

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
MajGenl.Meade

The Plot against America and Years and Years

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I'd be interested in opinions of anyone who has watched either of these two series.

Roth's "Plot against America" positing a victory by Lindbergh over Roosevelt was (as rewritten in the TV series) clearly meant to bring up Trumpian issues. "Years and Years" (Emma Thompson) is far more blatant in its attack on confusion, Trump, global politics, and the disassociation of people brought about by technology etc.

I've only seen episode 1 of Years and Years and was amused/amazed/appalled by the discussion of "trans" (spoiler alert) in which it turns out the adolescent girl was not considering becoming a boy (which her parents were "all OK" about) but about translating out of body and into data, transhuman. All their protestations of love were dashed as that idea proved to break their bounds of acceptance. I'm interested in seeing how it goes, despite the obligatory obeisance to shirt-lifters.

OTOH we watched the entire Plot Against America and while appreciating the interesting alternative history, found the final episode to be too twee for words. Roth's written ending was better IMO.

In both cases, how far are we from becoming victims to right/left/absurdist disintegration? In Years and Years, the important question (in episode 1) is given as how do we know what is true and how far is relativism going to take us? Will we in fact reach a point where it is impossible to rationally dialogue and determine truth?

Damn scary stuff
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

TPFKA@W

Re: The Plot against America and Years and Years

Post by TPFKA@W »

In both cases, how far are we from becoming victims to right/left/absurdist disintegration?

Hubby and I were discussing similar themes at dinner. He and I had somewhat similar upbringing and have tried mightily to overcome it and be liberally-conservative types. WE have a gay nephew with a husband and a biracial granddaughter who we love with all our hearts. All we want for them is to be happy and prosperous. Lately, and alarmingly with current events, we find ourselves increasingly angry and quite hostile towards those who are bringing about change by methods which we don't approve of. I see this happening to others who I know who took a live and let live approach. People are being pushed and stretched to breaking and I think things are going to turn sour and then ugly and there will be no winners. No one will ever agree with everyone else and there are no frontiers to flee to for escape.

Gob

Post by Gob »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:49 pm

I've only seen episode 1 of Years and Years and was amused/amazed/appalled by the discussion of "trans" (spoiler alert) in which it turns out the adolescent girl was not considering becoming a boy (which her parents were "all OK" about) but about translating out of body and into data, transhuman. All their protestations of love were dashed as that idea proved to break their bounds of acceptance. I'm interested in seeing how it goes, despite the obligatory obeisance to shirt-lifters.

Is this the show known as "black Mirror" in the UK?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Let me Google that for you . . . er, no. We tuned that one out for being boring, poorly plotted, not written well and not well acted. Other than, that . . . very similar :lol:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts