Some architects have wild skills

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

From today's Louisville Courier Journal, discussing the work of a a prominent 'Ville architect who died some years ago:
“This house is on a north-south axis,” he said, “and what that does, is it gives you the morning sun coming from the east, and then it gives you the afternoon sun coming from the west. He designed it that way.”
It's funny - my house does not have a N-S axis, and yet I still get the morning sun in the East and the afternoon sun in the West.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Much like car dealers, I think realtors are taught to speak that way to help bump up the purchase price close to the asking price.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Big RR

Re: Some architects have wild skills

Post by Big RR »

I'm not sure it's the same as a southern exposure, but I recall learning that a house facing south (southern exposure) maximized the sunlight in the northern hemishpere. the closer to south facing a hous eis oriented, the more hours of sunlight it gets since the sun will "travel" across the face of the house.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

I looked at a google map of Louisville. It would appear that many of the streets there do not run N-S E-W. It probably has to do with the crooked Ohio river that runs through the area. Maybe having a house that is oriented N-S is a bigger deal there than it would be in some cities. Almost all the streets here run N-S E-W. My house sits N-S. By golly we get that same sun in the east windows in the morning and west windows in the evening. If the house was oriented E-W, the sunlight would be there, but not streaming through the majority of the windows in the early and late hours. I think that is what the home owner, who was not trying to sell the house, was getting at. It's what the architect told him years ago.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Our realtor (note for USians: not the same as a "relator"), advertised our house this week as having "four north-facing bedrooms"

Aside from a quibble that there's really only 3 plus a room that could be a bedroom if you ripped out all the attached office furniture, one actual bedroom is on the south side. And no, it's not Leroy Brown's room.

Here in SA, the sun moves through its arc on the northern side of the house. The north side has sun exposure all day long. The north side of the house is measurably (and very noticeably) warmer than the south side.

If Leroy is in there, he's frozen his nuts off by now
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

Our house runs East - West, so our conservatory faces due south. Bloody warm in summer!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:04 pm

It's funny - my house does not have a N-S axis, and yet I still get the morning sun in the East and the afternoon sun in the West.
Maybe, but it is not as brilliant as my house with its N-S "axis".