I have no words...

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Gob

I have no words...

Post by Gob »

Poet laureate Simon Armitage and former children’s laureate Michael Rosen are among the top UK poets decrying the government’s decision to make poetry optional for GCSE students next year, describing it as “a dangerous first step”.

Ofqual announced on Tuesday that, due to the impact of coronavirus on education, it would allow exam boards to change their assessment criteria for GCSE English literature next summer. While students will still be assessed on a Shakespeare play, they will only have to focus on two out of the three remaining areas – poetry, the 19th-century novel, and fiction or drama from the British Isles after 1914.

Armitage, whose work has been part of the GCSE syllabus for the last two decades, said the decision was sad.

“This is a time when poetry seems to be really having its moment, because of the comfort, consolation and form of expression that people have found in poetry over these months. Among younger people, it seems a very vibrant, popular art form,” said Armitage. “It’s a worry that making it optional might have a knock-on effect and just make it one of those add-ons that it’s been at times in the past.”

“Poetry is language at play, and a lot of the time in a school or classroom environment, students are expected to use language in a very rational, logical and informational way. To be denied the opportunity to think of language as nuanced and playful is a pity,” he added.

Rosen called the decision wrong.

continues here..
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Re: I have no words...

Post by Scooter »

Why do they assume that students will not choose poetry as one of their two options?
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

I don't think they do, but as some will now not choose it, for whatever reason, it still diminishes the importance of the subject. It's as seen as a second rate choice.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

In my personal experience as a student and professor, a lot of students avoid poetry because they are intimidated by it - but often once they have instruction on how to read poetry, they become much more enthused and even interested in writing poetry themselves. I think it is regrettable to make it an option for younger students because I think many might opt out who would otherwise grow to love the art form if they were made to study it for a bit of time in their youth.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Don’t forget how much damage a bad poetry teacher can do.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Personally I think every student should learn poetry from Mary Oliver’s A Poetry Handbook.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan