And the award for the most woke movie goes too...

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Big RR

Re: And the award for the most woke movie goes too...

Post by Big RR »

Well, I've already given my view on these guidelines, but they do raise issues that are, IMHO, more than worthy of discussion.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I agree with Gob:
Gob wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:44 am
What utter fucking horseshit.
But I'm not surprised by it. The Academy Awards Ceremony is where people pat themselves on the back for being so darn good at acting, producing, directing, creating special effects, etc. - or sometimes acting, producing, directing, creating special effects, etc. for so long without getting an Oscar that they qualify for a special Oscar because they've never received an Oscar.

And the Oscar for Best Movie created by a most inclusive millionaire who is most sensitive to life's unfairness and went to great lengths to include every race, color, creed, disability and heretofore unrecognized sexuality or lack thereof in a movie goes to....

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

It's about time for the Group Areas Act to be exported from the Apartheid Museum in Jozie and sent to Hollyweird. National ID Cards with proper race/gender/opinion categories must be carried by all US Americans. Proof of sexual preference will be required as documents can be forged (some of you will enjoy this but others perhaps not). Aging persons of any nature are not required to comply with this section.

From now on, the credits at the end of every movie must state the race, creed, color, sexual orientation or lack thereof alongside every listed name so we interested parties can confirm the correct percentage of correctness correctly. Oh and missing appendages should be noted.

If Tiger Wood becomes a best boy, he gets three bonus points - black, Asian, randy. Meh Gibson, not so many. Musicals will be required to identify, employ and note the presence of heterosexual men.

Well, I hope for equal opportunity in employment in all walks of life and I don't actually care if they enforce quotas or not. Good luck to all, I say.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

Scooter wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:54 am
They couldn't find, say, 20 black people willing to make a few hundred bucks? Because they were too afraid to run in shallow water?
We don't know do we? But, let's have a knee jerk "it's all due to racism" response instead, as that is unarguably true.

Scooter wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:54 am
ETA - And of course the location in which it was shot contributed to the overwhelmingly white demographic of the film. That was a choice that was made, not out of any intent to exclude non-whites, but which nonetheless meant that they had little to no chance of being cast. Thanks for making my point.
So we were right, it's nothing to do with racism.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

Scooter wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:37 pm
It's funny that, in trying to make a joke, you mention yet another film that makes my point. In all of the massive crowd scenes in that film, how many non-white faces do you see? it is probably just about one of the whitest movies ever made, and I'm not talking about the shark. Are you going to claim that the quality of the movie would have been irreparably harmed if a few of the people running screaming through the water were Black or Asian?
Horsehit again...No one has claimed that past movies would be "irreparably harmed if a few of the people running screaming through the water were Black or Asian", (a few are, but don't let that stop you seeing spies under the bed everywhere.)
Scooter wrote:
It wouldn't have made any difference to the film at all, but it might have made a big difference in the lives of a few Bkack or Asian actors struggling to get roles, who were, and to some degree still are, completely passed over in casting calls like this. Not out of any malicious intent, but simply because, unless the casting notes explicitly call for non-white actors, casting agents will cast overwhelmingly white without even thinking about it. Which is precisely the sort of unconscious bias that these standards can be used successfully to overcome.
Really? Evidence for this? You seem to think there are no black or Asian casting directors?

Scooter wrote:
And this assumption that hiring anyone other than white heterosexual men means being forced to compromise on competence is just bullshit.
That's why no one has claimed it.
Scooter wrote:
What, exactly, is wrong with trying to shake up a system where studio executives hire those who are largely a reflection of themselves, or who have some relationship to people who have access to lobby on their behalf (which amounts to the same thing)?
Funny, there's me thinking they were hiring people who fitted characters roles, where in fact, everyone chosen by these people is a reflection of themselves. That must be why Danny Glover and Mel Gibson are indistinguishable in the Md Max movies.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I haven't used the word racism or even implied it, if by that you mean that someone intentionally set out to bar this or that demographic from working in film. It didn't require intentionality for some to be largely excluded, but it will require intentional action to compensate for that exclusion by opening up opportunities for those who haven't had access to them.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

Scooter wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:45 am
I haven't used the word racism or even implied it,
"WHITE" heterosexual males has been your shtick from the off...

Scooter wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:45 am
It didn't require intentionality for some to be largely excluded, but it will require intentional action to compensate for that exclusion by opening up opportunities for those who haven't had access to them.
Now there we may have some common ground, however, what if a script does not call for these "excluded" characters?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Other than, say, where necessitated by historical accuracy, when would it not call for them to be considered?
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

Well if it was set in Cornwall today, demographics are; White (Cornish/English/Welsh/Scottish/Northern Irish/British): 95.7%.

So should a movie, like for instance "Fishermen's Friends" represent that? Or should one of the singers be gay*, one black**, one Asian**, one a lesbian***, one disabled**** etc etc for quota filling purposes?

*One of the real FF is gay.

** The badie (Noel Clarke) was black, so that's all good then.

*** In a group of male sea shanty singers?

**** one could have had his leg bit off by a shark...