Not Finyl Vinyl

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Gob

Not Finyl Vinyl

Post by Gob »

Vinyl records have outsold CDs in the US for the first time since the 1980s, according to data from the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).

A report on the first half of 2020 across the recorded music industry reads: “Vinyl album revenues of $232m were 62% of total physical revenues, marking the first time vinyl exceeded CDs for such a period since the 1980s.” The report acknowledged that vinyl records accounted for only 4% of total recorded music revenue.

Streaming continues to increase its dominance of the market. It made up 85% of revenue in the first half of 2020, generating $4.8bn, compared with $4.3bn in the same period last year when its share was 80%. Digital downloads now account for only 6% of revenue.

US listeners are also increasingly willing to pay for premium services to listen to music ad-free, up from 58.2m in the first half of 2019 to 72.1m in the same period this year.

Vinyl’s popularity also continues to grow in the UK, with sales increasing in 2019 by 4.1% on the previous year, though the rate of growth has slowed following the “vinyl revival” boom in the middle of the last decade.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Sue U

Re: Not Finyl Vinyl

Post by Sue U »

I haven't bought a vinyl record in over 35 years and haven't bought a CD in the last 15, and at this point I can't imagine why I'd want to.
US listeners are also increasingly willing to pay for premium services to listen to music ad-free,
This is me. I'm probably spending the same or a little less on music as I ever did, but have the ability to hear so much more on so many more convenient platforms/technologies. I'm good with that.
GAH!

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

It makes sense, if you are happy renting music, then there are many digital resources for that, and most people seem to be good with this new system. If you are in the minority and want to own the album, you buy a physical item and with the puny sales in this category, audiophiles who prefer vinyl edge out those who are still good with CDs.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I bought a CD a year or more ago. Some SAfrican lady warbling L Cohen in interesting ways. Other than that, it's iTunes purchases for me. My vinyl collection was abandoned about four moves ago. Just can't lug 'em all over the world when one keeps cutting down to two suitcases and leave the rest.

I really should try listening to something by one of those new groups. Foo Fighters or Kaiser Chiefs or something like that. I hear there's a chap called Michael something and a lady Agogo or similar.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

I donated all my CDs* to charity in Aus, after burning them to a hard drive.

*Yeah, ok, ha ha ha....
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”