Wall of Silence

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
MajGenl.Meade

Wall of Silence

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

US music producer Phil Spector has died at the age of 81, while serving a prison sentence for murder.
Spector, who transformed pop with his "wall of sound" recordings, worked with the Beatles, the Righteous Brothers and Ike and Tina Turner.
Apparently, his heart stood still, da doo ron ron ron, da doo ron ron
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Re: Wall of Silence

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I think he may have lost that loving feeling.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:38 pm
Apparently, his heart stood still, da doo ron ron ron, da doo ron ron
I heard somebody died and his name was Phil
Da doo ron-ron-ron, Da doo ron-ron

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

The guy was always strange, and he did go off the deep end a while back, but he was a hell of a producer who came up with an conic sound. I didn't always like the way he reworked the songs at time, but at other times his orchestrations were inspirational (such as with The Long and Winding Road) regardless of what the composer(s) said.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

They say in prison time goes by so slowly, no longer.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

He almost ruined the LP "Death of a Ladies' Man"
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Goof example of a horrible collaboration. I don't know what genius thought up of "pairing" Cohen with Spector.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

He was a waste of oxygen. No loss.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Big RR wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:56 pm
Goof example of a horrible collaboration.
A typo that better expresses the point!

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Death of a Ladies Man is just about the only Leonard Cohen cd I don't have, and don't want.

snailgate

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Typo? That was irony!

Gob

Post by Gob »

Lawyer; "You're going to be on trial for murder Phil, it's important you make a good impression in court!"
Phil Spector; "OK, I got this..."

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:40 pm
He was a waste of oxygen. No loss.
Yup. Someone needed to say this, and Robyn Pennacchia did: (From Wonkette.)
F*ck You, Dead Phil Spector

By Robyn Pennacchia | January 17, 2021 01:30 PM

Phil Spector is dead. 81 years old, natural causes. Not in prison, where he has been for the last eleven or so years, but in a nearby hospital. Hopefully alone.

There are going to be a lot of remembrances today talking about how he was a pioneering music producer, how he created the wall of sound, how he is responsible for some of the best music ever made. These things are true. What is also true is that he was a murderer and an abuser and just an all around rotten person in a startling variety of ways.

People will talk about his talent. And yes, he may have had talent, but he destroyed talent as well. When he married Ronnie Spector (neé Bennett) of The Ronettes — one of the great talents of her generation — he pulled her right off the stage at the height of her career and kept her locked in his mansion, with bars on the windows, monitoring intercoms, surrounded by barbed wire and guard dogs and ten-foot electric gates. Literally. She didn't see so much as a movie the entire time they were together. He surprised her with adopted children to force her to stay. He also bought a large golden coffin and told her that if she tried to escape, he would kill her and put her dead body on display in it, telling her mother it was "so I can keep an eye on her after she's dead.". He hid her shoes so that she could not escape, and when she finally did escape, with the help of her mother, it was in bare feet.

"I knew that if I didn't leave I was going to die there," she said.

She was right. Spector would later murder actress Lana Clarkson and go to prison for doing so. Clarkson was found dead in his home with her teeth splattered all over the floor. Although he would later claim it was an "accidental suicide," Spector had, at first, told 9-1-1 "I think I've killed someone." Four other women would later come forward and say that Spector had pulled a gun on them after they had spurned his advances. He had also pulled guns on John Lennon and Dee Dee Ramone.

He was also horrible to women he was not involved with. He stole so much from Darlene Love — not least of all, her voice. He would have her record songs and then put them on other people's albums. Lala Brooks and Barbara Alston of The Crystals were certainly surprised when they heard "He's A Rebel" being attributed, on the radio, to The Crystals — when it was being sung by Darlene Love. She couldn't record with anyone else because Spector wouldn't let her out of her contract, and he regularly used her and her group The Blossoms as back up singers ... and then did not pay them royalties. Love successfully sued Spector for royalties in 2004, but only got a fraction of what he owed her.

Ronnie Spector did not get anything in her divorce from Phil Spector, because he told her he had hired a hit man who would kill her if she did.

Phil Spector was also accused of sexual abuse by his adopted children, Donte and Gary. They said he held them captive and forced them to "perform sex acts" with one of his girlfriends.

As always happens when someone like Spector dies, there will be the usual discussions that occur when a person who has produced some very good things in the world is also a shitty, abusive human being. And Phil Spector absolutely did produce some of the absolute best songs that have ever existed, and it would be stupid not to listen to them because he is a shitty person. The actual musicians and singers who recorded the songs don't deserve to be punished for that — especially those who were his actual victims, like Ronnie Spector. But it is important to remember while talking about what he contributed to the world, that he also took so much away from it and from us. We all lost out on years of songs from both Ronnie Spector and Darlene Love, two of the greatest voices in history, and God knows how many others, because Phil Spector was a piece of shit. And that is heartbreaking.

I read Ronnie Spector's autobiography, Be My Baby: How I Survived Mascara, Miniskirts, and Madness, Or, My Life as a Fabulous Ronette, the book in which she detailed the abuse she suffered at the hands of Phil Spector as well as her escape, when I was nine years old. It was absolutely horrifying. And so I have deeply, deeply hated Phil Spector for a very, very long time now. I am glad that he is dead. I am glad that he can't hurt anyone else, and I absolutely motherfucking refuse to read any "Oh well, he was a genius" crap.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I have to say Ronnie Spector has some real class in her reaction to Phil's death:

It’s a sad day for music and a sad day for me.

When I was working with Phil Spector, watching him create in the recording studio, I knew I was working with the very best. He was in complete control, directing everyone. So much to love about those days. Meeting him and falling in love was like a fairytale.

The magical music we were able to make together, was inspired by our love. I loved him madly, and gave my heart and soul to him.

As I said many times while he was alive, he was a brilliant producer, but a lousy husband. Unfortunately, Phil was not able to live and function outside of the recording studio.

Darkness set in, many lives were damaged. I still smile whenever I hear the music we made together, and always will. The music will be forever.

Not much I think anyone can add to that.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

The Crystals and the Ronettes, as well as the Shirelles and the Shangri-Las provided much of the soundtrack of my youngest days listening to pop music, and although even then that style was going out of fashion they still set the standard for hit songs. (Until the Supremes came along, anyway.) As for Phil Spector himself, he was clearly a shit, but Ronnie deserves the last word.
GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Stockholm Syndrome

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Possibly, but since they split 30 years ago and she has not refused to discuss his idiocies, I don't think so. More likely she is a private person who does not want to stay in the public eye by shitting on someone (would that a lot of others could do this), no matter how much he may deserve it. From what I have read and heard during interviews, it appears she has just moved on from Phil, and has made peace in her mind regarding their relationship. And it appears she can appreciate his artistry without excusing his behavior.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

No, really?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Gee Meade; I figured even you would have been able to see that without me pointing it out to you. Sorry for overestimating you. :nana

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

:lol: