Final image

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Gob

Final image

Post by Gob »

The final image taken with my 5DIII, (R.I.P.)
final small.jpg
Sad to say, but the old girl has gone to the great recycling depot in the sky. We were together for over ten years, and 300,000 shutter actuations.

Shortly after this photo was taken I did the remarkable feat of achieving a near perfect "standing back salto tucked with a full twist", Near perfect as I landed on my face rather than my feet. giving myself a bloody nose and nearly losing a couple of teeth.

Worse still though was that my camera flew many yards and landed on those lovely soft boulders, (Digby thought I had thrown it at him, poor sod.)

She was already on her way out, and even with Canon's reputation for robust design, it wasn't enough to save her. So I am bereft.

Hen, being an absolute darling, says I can buy a replacement one, one to see me through until I buy my "retirement camera" , (think ££££££).
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

ex-khobar Andy

Re: Final image

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

That's good of Hen. But has she OK'd the Macallan? Poor Digby must be very upset because if you threw a £££ camera at him (not a ££££££ camera) he must think that you are really, really, really pissed and he's wondering what he did to deserve it.

Gob

Post by Gob »

:lol:

Just bough a Canon 90D as my "fill-in" camera for the next few years
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Gob wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:43 pm
Shortly after this photo was taken I did the remarkable feat of achieving a near perfect "standing back salto tucked with a full twist", Near perfect as I landed on my face rather than my feet. giving myself a bloody nose and nearly losing a couple of teeth.
Any connection with your scotch thread?

Hope you enjoy your new camera -- quality shots are maybe 90+% eye and 10% equipment.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I am partial to Panasonic with the Leica Lens's. But I do still have a Nikon F,with a 2000mm lens, a Pentax 1000, A Rollie roll film camera, all still functional. I had just about every gadget made for the Rollie, even a glass film back. But the filters long since died of mold. There is one local store that sells film but only 35mm Fuiji color, they will get B&W for my Rollie if I buy 25 rolls at a time.

LR, I disagree, I think the eye is at least 95%.

snailgate

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Gob wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:43 pm
.....Sad to say, but the old girl has gone to the great recycling depot in the sky. We were together for over ten years, and 300,000 shutter actuations. .......
I can tell by the photo that there's more to the story and the end was near. It looks like you were having a rocky relationship.

dales

Post by dales »

Would you call that a "Kodak Moment"?

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Gob

Post by Gob »

New lens* is here, the old one was too damaged by my acrobatics, so I asked Hen if I could buy a new one.* It's too wet to go out, so I thought I'd try a bit of experiment indoors.
nl.jpg
*Yes, she spoils me.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

So what is you retirement camera?

Gob

Post by Gob »

Big RR wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:41 pm
I don't know what it will be yet mate, probably either a Sony or Canon mirrorless. Whatever is the best spec I can afford at the time.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Gob, do you have an Apple computer with the 'Big Sur' operating system? I just got mine and the wall paper is amazing. If you have not seen it, go to an Apple store and just look. Fantastic and beautiful shots of Big Sur California. I visited it once on a brief business trip. The area is noted for the scenery
and the beautiful drives on the road overlooking big cliffs and ocean views. But Apple really shows off what their photo apps can do.

snailgate

dales

Post by dales »

US Rte. 1 is currently closed near Big Sur and won't be opened for many months.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Gob

Post by Gob »

Burning Petard wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:40 am
Gob, do you have an Apple computer with the 'Big Sur' operating system?
Nope, sorry mate, I'm on windows.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Gob, go to an apple store and ask to see the Big Sur operating system on a big screen. Some of the pictures do strange things with angle of view or perceived scale, or color. But most are just gorgeous.

If you are happy with Bill Gates legacy, I say good on you.

snailgate

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

A quick look at a map shows that Gob's nearest Apple store is probably in Plymouth, which is maybe about a 2-hour drive from where he lives.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Gob wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:54 pm
Big RR wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:41 pm
I don't know what it will be yet mate, probably either a Sony or Canon mirrorless. Whatever is the best spec I can afford at the time.
Getting you over the top to the camera you deserve would be a worthy go-fund me.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Many thanks!

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Econoline wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:27 pm
A quick look at a map shows that Gob's nearest Apple store is probably in Plymouth, which is maybe about a 2-hour drive from where he lives.
Well, it's not like he's actually got anything else to do.
GAH!

Gob

Post by Gob »

SFA!