A HUGE compliment.

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Gob

A HUGE compliment.

Post by Gob »

Received via Facebook
Hi Gob,

I don’t know you but I am in the Sennen community group on FB and always love your photos of Lands End and surrounding areas, as Sennen is a special place to my family. I sometimes comment on the amazing photos, especially of the lighthouse.

My maiden name is Louise xxx on FB. Our holidays were in Sennen and St Ives. We got married in Carbis bay several years ago.

I have been going through a difficult time for a while, and Longship Lighthouse pictures bring me enormous peace. Anyway, two weeks ago tomorrow my husband Nigel died suddenly in his sleep. It has been a traumatic time as he wasn’t ill.

My brother and dad and many others are heartbroken they cannot come to our house to offer condolences too.

He died on the Saturday morning and I had this idea on the Monday.....so on Tuesday all neighbours/family/friend’s/workmates both his and mine, lit a candle between 6 and 6:30pm for him. Some said a prayer, some had a cold beer or a rum, or a cuppa. Then what happened was.... everyone started sending photos of their candles etc through via WhatsApp- there were hundred or so and he was a modest quiet man. It lifted the spirits of me and our girls so much, we sat on the sofa reading back all the messages until 9pm. For the first time I stopped shaking and it was like everyone was truly with us.

I have managed to find a couple who will live stream his funeral to our elderly and vulnerable relatives and friends. Instead of an abrupt ending we can have some photos of him and us, but for the last one I wanted to ask you. Please could we use one of your beautiful shots of Longships, with some orange/brown skies or sunlight shining through?

The reason I wanted to make this the last photo is that he was our rock and lighthouse, solidly supporting myself and our two girls through dark times.

Thank you,

Louise
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Sue U

Re: A HUGE compliment.

Post by Sue U »

That's lovely.
GAH!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

You do take lovely photos - how nice that someone in distress should take such comfort from them. :hug:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

:ok :ok :ok

Gob

Post by Gob »

lj2x.jpg
This is the one she chose, definitely not one of my favourites, not even what I would call a good shot, but "de gustibus" as I say.

(This is a low res, small image, to fit on here. I gave her the high res, full sized image.)
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Nice shot; and a well-deserved compliment to your photography. It just shows the power of art to move people.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Really lovely and heartfelt. You do beautiful work.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

My thanks all.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

It might not be to your taste, as you say: but I can see how it appeals to someone who was suddenly and unexpectedly bereaved. The very dark, almost black cloud overhead with the sun claiming the distant sky is allegorical. A powerful image.

Edited to correct a typo.
Last edited by ex-khobar Andy on Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

dales

Post by dales »

Looks rather phallic to me.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Gob wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:17 pm
lj2x.jpg

This is the one she chose, definitely not one of my favourites, not even what I would call a good shot, but "de gustibus" as I say.

(This is a low res, small image, to fit on here. I gave her the high res, full sized image.)
never discount the notion that you may have captured a facsimile of a treasured memory.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I agree with Andy's take on the photo. I had the same thoughts when I first viewed it.