Some Kind of Heaven

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
BoSoxGal

Some Kind of Heaven

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’ve only watched 20 minutes so far but can heartily recommend this documentary.

Would love to hear what others think of the content if/when they watch it. It’s rental only right now, for $6.99. I spent my one-rental-per-month budget on it and no complaints.

Curious what others think of the retirement vision of places like The Villages. (To me it seems like the ultimate nightmare.)
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Re: Some Kind of Heaven

Post by Big RR »

I haven't seen it, but it looks linteresting.

As for the retirement communities, I am sure there are better and worse ones, but it is the way a lot of seniors are being pushed due to escalating property taxes (usually, when kids are barred, the education part (the major portion of property tax in most communities) is reduced or removed. Also, some people are alone--I have a divorced friend in his 80s--his kids have their own lives and he was living alone in a two bedroom condo . He moved to an assisted living place near one of his daughters (one of those places where he has a full apartment and gets two meals a day in the restaurant dining rooms (they have three and I have eaten there--good food) . They have a lot of activities, a gym and a pool, provide transportation to local supermarkets and stores (He got rid of his car), but mostly he is around other people in the same boat and he has made a lot of friends. I don't think I would like it all that much (kind of like living on a cruise ship), but he is happier (and in better shape) than I have seen him in years (OK, I haven't seen him since covid started, but we talk on the phone). For the right person, I think it can be a good place to live.