LittleCharlieDickens, we meet again.

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Burning Petard

LittleCharlieDickens, we meet again.

Post by Burning Petard »

I am an old man and my sleeping patterns have changed. After two hours sleep, I was fully awake and looking for diversion. So I finished the spy novel, "Red Widow" by Alma Katsu. Nicely done. Heroes that are heroic in spite of it all, villains who are completely villainous. Interesting plot. Satisfying ending.

I wanted something completely different. I picked up my kindle and thought for awhile. GB Shaw? I have his complete works and I always love his own commentary on the particular play and the politics when it was written. How about the complete works of Charles Dickens? I have not read any Dickens since "Tale of Two Cities" back in high school in 1956. Never even read 'Christmas Carol' So I find that on my kindle--EVERYTHING, listed alphabetically in the table of contents. The elves of Amazon tell me it will take 375 hours to read it all. First title I recognize as a novel is "Bleak House" so I open it.

That first sentence! Such a contrast with what I have just finished reading. One hundred thirty words long, parenthetical aside, clauses, subordinating other clauses. Such a contrast with the spare sentences of Katsu. This is indeed, now something completely different. I think I am gonna really enjoy it.
Far more interesting than 'It was a dark and stormy night.' So far away from the bleak mental walls of this pandemic.

snailgate

Gob

Re: LittleCharlieDickens, we meet again.

Post by Gob »

Interesting post, thanks for sharing. I'm not a Dickens fan, but respect his contribution.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Burning Petard wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:25 am
That first sentence! Such a contrast with what I have just finished reading. One hundred thirty words long, parenthetical aside, clauses, subordinating other clauses. Such a contrast with the spare sentences of Katsu. This is indeed, now something completely different. I think I am gonna really enjoy it.
Far more interesting than 'It was a dark and stormy night.' So far away from the bleak mental walls of this pandemic.

snailgate
I think mid 19th Century writing style in general tends to long sentences containing a number of thoughts, rather than the simple single-thought declarative style popular today (depending on who you're reading, of course). My first literary experiences were with EA Poe, a contemporary of Dickens, who had a similar style. I always say he taught me how to write. As a result, I've spent the last 50 years trying to shorten my sentences.
GAH!

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I did not know what I was getting into. Some modern literati think Bleak House is Dickens' best work. It is also said to be a satire on the English court system that contributed greatly to major legal reforms.

Who duh thunk it? I was only looking for late nite digression that did not involve turning on the tv.

snailgate