America, We Have a Problem

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: America, We Have a Problem

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Big RR wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:52 pm
[font=][/font]
'll stick with my 1960s-1980s classic rock; like the guy on the station says, "tune us in and then rip off the knob."
Please confirm that doesn't include disco. You know, the extraordinarily long period between 60s style rock and new wave.
Yes, it does include some — not a lot, but some — of what would be considered 'disco'.  For the most part it was still music, performed on musical instruments, by real musicians.  Just as a f'rinstance, did you know that "MacArthur Park Suite", Donna Summer's 18-minute-long 'disco-cized' version of 'MacArthur Park', required the combined performances of over 50 backup musicians with her when it was being recorded, mixed, and mastered?

In fact, it is my firm belief that the only reason rap/hip-hop music is still permitted to exist is to prove to mankind that disco wasn't that bad after all.
(and I shudder to think of what sort of recorded noise would have to come along before we start getting the same feeling about rap)
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I'm not saying that all disco is easy to perform; It can involve many instrumentalists and vocalists. I'm just saying it's not something I care to listen to. FWIW, I think a lot of hip hop and rap can be very creative and require a good deal of talent to perform, but I doubt that would make you any more interested in listening to it. Music is a taste, and we all have music we like and music we can't stand.

And FWIW, while I liked the original McArthur Park, you couldn't pay me enough to listen to Donna Summer's version; ditto for Aretha Franklin's Bridge Over Troubled Water.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Seventy-four different vocal tracks...

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

BigRR, surely you were a fan of this disco classic:

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Meh, not much of a song -- WAP is sooo much better. Maybe I'm old, but I still think her best work is her earliest. Loved this when it came out:

GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Sue--nope, somehow I missed it. And now I can't get it out of my mind--dammit.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Big RR wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:13 am
And now I can't get it out of my mind--dammit.
Right?
GAH!

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I remember liberty mentioned that was one of his favorites.

Gob

Post by Gob »

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Gob wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:01 am
What, did you miss this last year?

GAH!

Gob

Post by Gob »

Yep!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”