Not Kosher.

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Gob

Not Kosher.

Post by Gob »

Following a much-discussed New York Times piece which criticized Looney Tunes character Pepé Le Pew for perpetuating rape culture, it’s been revealed that Warner Bros. will no longer feature the amorous skunk in future movies and TV shows in the beloved cartoon franchise. This unexpected development has led to much discussion online, and now that iconic childhood characters are being cancelled, folks are wondering… is Miss Piggy next?

Ever since the 1970s, Miss Piggy has been lashing out at her green beau Kermit whenever he says the wrong thing, as well as generally acting aggressively to get the good-natured frog’s attention, even though Kermit is often depicted as not being as into her as she is him. With Le Pew getting cancelled for less violent behavior, Twitter users are arguing that maybe Miss Piggy should be held accountable, too, with some people being more serious about it than others.

Continues...
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Re: Not Kosher.

Post by BoSoxGal »

I remember being revulsed by Miss Piggy even when I was just a small child - so artificial and nasty. And VIOLENT.

It really isn’t funny to model domestic violence to kids, not even if a boy is the victim, and not even if it’s cute muppets doing it.

In fact using cute muppets to model relationship violence to children is pretty twisted. Much as I admire the creative genius of Jim Henson, I was always put off by his choice to present those characters in that way. Miss Piggy is obnoxious and shallow and violent and it seems like there is a deep vein of misogyny that underlies presenting the biggest female star of The Muppets so distastefully.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I don't think it is misogyny; IMHO it is part of a big part of puppetry, from the Punch and Judy shows to the Italian Buffo characters. I don't think it is aimed to encourage violence, more to poke fun and satirize it, showing how silly it is. And I think most people (especially kids, who must puppetry is aimed at) will see the difference between Punch hitting Judy with a bat, and doing the same in real life to a "friend". I think slapstick comedy has a place, and seriously doubt it encourages or celebrates violence int he way I am reading your post as saying (but to be fair, I am a fan of the Three Stooges and still watch them both on TV and in my DVD collection, and always enjoyed Mr. Hand torturing Mr. Bill).

that being said, I don't generally like puppets, and the character of Miss Piggy made me more resolute in avoiding the muppets. FWIW, I just didn't find her character and he r high pitched squealing funny in the least.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I had never noticed this, but according to Wikipedia the main Muppets characters are
The principal characters of The Muppet Show and subsequent media include Kermit the Frog; Miss Piggy; Fozzie Bear; Gonzo; Rowlf the Dog; Scooter; Rizzo the Rat; Pepe the King Prawn; Dr. Bunsen Honeydew; Beaker; Statler and Waldorf; the Swedish Chef; Sam Eagle; Camilla the Chicken; Walter; and the Electric Mayhem, fronted by Dr. Teeth (lead vocals, keyboards) and consisting of Animal (drums), Floyd Pepper (bass, background vocals), Janice (guitar, background vocals), Zoot (saxophone), and occasionally Lips (trumpet). (My underlining.)
Only three are identifiable as female (underlined) and I'd never heard of Janice and Camilla the Chicken. And of the main characters I am familiar with, only one is (a) female and (b) a pretentious snob with an inclination to violence. I'd call that prima facie evidence of misogyny at some level.

(BTW Bert and Ernie and Cookie Monster and Big Bird et al are Sesame St characters, not 'classic' Muppets, but the pattern appears to continue.)

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Janice is in the band and Camilla is gonzos top chicken. (Talk about exhibiting questionable relationships)
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.