Pass the Cleese

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Gob

Pass the Cleese

Post by Gob »

John Cleese has withdrawn from an event at the Cambridge Union, saying he was “blacklisting” himself before “someone else does”.

The move by the Monty Python and Fawlty Towers star was in protest after the debating society banned art critic Andrew Graham-Dixon for impersonating Adolf Hitler.

Cleese had been due to address the union on Friday, but withdrew, saying he had also impersonated Hitler in a Monty Python sketch. He said on Twitter: “I was looking forward to talking to students at the Cambridge Union this Friday, but I hear that someone there has been blacklisted for doing an impersonation of Hitler.

“I regret that I did the same on a Monty Python show, so I am blacklisting myself before someone else does. I apologise to anyone at Cambridge who was hoping to talk with me, but perhaps some of you can find a venue where woke rules do not apply.”

According to reports, Cleese was visiting Cambridge as part of a documentary he is making on “woke culture”.

The Cambridge Union president, Keir Bradwell, said it was a “huge shame” that Cleese felt he could no longer attend the event. “We were really looking forward to hosting John here.

“It would have been a really fantastic event and our members are really excited to hear from him – the documentary he is making is extremely topical. He’s the kind of speaker that would thrive with our audience and in our room.”

Graham-Dixon’s Hitler impression and remarks came during a debate last week on the motion “This house believes there is no such thing as good taste.” In a statement, the art historian said it was not his intention to upset people, but to persuade the audience “that bad taste and bad morality often go hand-in-hand”.

He added: “I apologise sincerely to anyone who found my debating tactics and use of Hitler’s own language distressing; on reflection I can see that some of the words I used, even in quotation, are inherently offensive.”

He rejected the “implication that I am racist and antisemitic … The speech I gave was a strident attack on Hitler’s racism and antisemitism”.

In a letter posted on Facebook, Bradwell said the remarks made by Graham-Dixon during the event were “thoughtless and grotesque”, and apologised for his own failure to intervene. He said he had consumed “two glasses of wine over dinner beforehand, as did our speakers”, but added that he was “not impeded in my ability to chair the debate”.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Re: Pass the Cleese

Post by BoSoxGal »

Okay so I had to know more about this and found this article which includes video of the debate and the Hitler impression that Andrew Graham-Dixon was banned over.

Here’s the article: https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/cam ... impression

Here’s the video alone:

UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE that anything was made of this, much less a banning! Good on John Cleese for refusing to speak there!

This is going too far. The youth that is driving this level of wokeness are just making themselves look like fucking idiots. Isn’t this one of the premier academic institutions on the planet? Jesus wept.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

It boggles the mind.

Gob

Post by Gob »

It's a race to the bottom isn't it?

Soon we'll all be wearing badges to tell people if we're a bloke or a bird, so no one gets upset about being called a bloke when they're actually a bird.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

And the little stars - they were there so the deaf viewers didn't know he'd just said the really dread word . . . Ne*****

Guess they left the 'e' in there so the deaf didn't think he said 'Ni*****'

But it' OK to say "Jews" of course - still - I suppose - for now. No stars there eh?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:59 am
But it' OK to say "Jews" of course - still - I suppose - for now. No stars there eh?
I find it surprising how many people say "Jewish people" instead of "Jews" when referring to us, as if saying "Jew" is itself a slur, which in their minds maybe it is, make of that what you will. And of course stars for Jews already been done:

The furor over der Fuhrer in the OP is of course ridiculous. When I looked at BSG's Spectator link I expected to see that the banning of Graham-Dixon was itself a sarcastic satire. Let me just say I am deeply disappointed in today's university yutes.

I also find grating the current use of "woke" in (largely right-wing) media and discussion. It's the new "politically correct" but now with more racism.
GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Pretty much the point I had in mind, esp. the stars. Surprised the w*** a******* didn't put the sub-title J*** since they objected so much to N*****
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I thought this was satire...