I'm offended on behalf of Asians everywhere.

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Gob

I'm offended on behalf of Asians everywhere.

Post by Gob »

What's in a name? Well, for Ji-Young, the newest muppet resident of 'Sesame Street,' her name is a sign she was meant to live there.

'So, in Korean traditionally the two syllables they each mean something different and Ji means, like, smart or wise. And Young means, like, brave or courageous and strong,' Ji-Young explained during a recent interview.

'But we were looking it up and guess what? Ji also means sesame.'

At only 7 years old, Ji-Young is making history as the first Asian American muppet in the 'Sesame Street' canon.

She is Korean American and has two passions: rocking out on her electric guitar and skateboarding.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Re: I'm offended on behalf of Asians everywhere.

Post by Big RR »

The thing that surprises me is that the puppet has the wide (very wide) eyed look common to Japanese animation from the first time I saw it (back i the old Astro Boy and Gigantor days).

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

The irony being the muppets were first designed to be non-racial
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Crackpot wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:05 pm
The irony being the muppets were first designed to be non-racial
And then consider that some of the other characters — like Fozzie Bear, Big Bird, Oscar the Grouch, Cookie Monster, Grover, Kermit, Miss Piggy, and Snuffleupagus — weren't even meant to be human...
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?