RIP Sidney Poitier

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
ex-khobar Andy

RIP Sidney Poitier

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I did not realize, until I read the Guardian piece on him, that the three films for which I remember him - To Sir With Love; In The Heat Of The Night; Guess Who's Coming to Dinner - were all released in 1967. One more thing to remember that year for.

Long Run

Re: RIP Sidney Poitier

Post by Long Run »

He was a great one. "They call me Mr.Tibbs", one of the most memorable cinematic lines.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Cross him off the dinner list then.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

I cannot be alone in thinking he'd been dead for years.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

That was Harry Belefonte. (He’s dead right?)
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Crackpot wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:40 pm
That was Harry Belefonte. (He’s dead right?)
Daily Mail headline minutes ago:
Harry Belafonte's daughter says that her father who united with Sidney Poitier to fight for civil rights is devastated over his death, calling it more difficult than 'losing Martin L. King'
Just because oldsters aren’t in the spotlight anymore doesn’t mean they’re dead.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BSG is right, but in today's world of information overload, where there's always something on Tikky-Takky or Twatter or Faux News and the average person's attention span is measured in nano-seconds, "out of sight" is quickly "out of mind".   That's why a lot of current-day celebs (and even some has-beens, who are aware their star is dimmed to almost nothing) will do almost anything, like dressing/acting outrageously or releasing claims of shit that allegedly happened to them decades ago, just to keep their name in the public consciousness.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Actually I think it was Mandela who died back in the 80’s

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Crackpot wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:25 pm
Actually I think it was Mandela who died back in the 80’s
Or maybe 2013? :nana
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

No he died in jail in the 80’s

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Mandela had that effect on people.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Crackpot wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:43 pm
I must not get the joke. :roll:

Ah, it’s the misremembering of millions of people who don’t actually follow or read news and current affairs: https://www.timeslive.co.za/amp/news/so ... la-effect/
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

:(

I'm too young to remember most of his work...though I recall reading the (nonfiction) book "To Sir With Love" was based on. (By E. Ricardo Braithwaite, highly recommended.) The movie I remember him in was part of the ensemble cast in Sneakers.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:53 pm
:(

I'm too young to remember most of his work...though I recall reading the (nonfiction) book "To Sir With Love" was based on. (By E. Ricardo Braithwaite, highly recommended.) The movie I remember him in was part of the ensemble cast in Sneakers.
I highly recommend a weekend devoted to streaming some of his films - they really are quite brilliant performances and stand the test of time. I watch To Sir With Love at least once a year, but many of the others are worthy of multiple viewings, too.

I’m so grateful for Sidney Poitier, without whom there would never have been a Denzel Washington.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:22 pm
Crackpot wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:43 pm
I must not get the joke. :roll:

Ah, it’s the misremembering of millions of people who don’t actually follow or read news and current affairs: https://www.timeslive.co.za/amp/news/so ... la-effect/
Ah, Americans
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts