The Dashboard Light Has Gone Dim

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

The Dashboard Light Has Gone Dim

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Meat Loaf (real name Marvin Lee Aday) died Thursday at age 74.  No cause of death was released, although he had been experiencing various medical issues over the past ten years, even collapsing onstage during a show in Edmonton in 2016, and hadn't been touring since that incident.  He had stated that he would be returning to the studio in 2022 to record another album featuring previously unreleased material by the late Jim Steinman.

I guess heaven couldn't wait any longer.

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Re: The Dashboard Light Has Gone Dim

Post by Gob »

This cropped up on my FB feed;

The man was far more than just a set of good lungs, RIP Michael Lee.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Interesting that he predicted his own death within a year after Jim Steinman died last April.

Covid sucks. It sucks harder if you don’t believe in getting vaccinated, which is rumored to be the case here.

Great performer, great musician - RIP.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Truly a one off. Jim is probably at the gate: "What took you so long?" and has a song for him. Unforgettable as Eddie - Rocky Horror is the one movie I have seen more than twice in a cinema, perhaps six times.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:47 pm
Interesting that he predicted his own death within a year after Jim Steinman died last April.

Covid sucks. It sucks harder if you don’t believe in getting vaccinated, which is rumored to be the case here.

Great performer, great musician - RIP.
He was high risk...asthma and a heart condition. He may also have had Parkinson's.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:35 pm

He was high risk...asthma and a heart condition. He may also have had Parkinson's.
So he thought it a good idea not to be vaccinated? Good singer, not got a lot of smarts though.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Gob wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:13 pm
Jarlaxle wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:35 pm

So he thought it a good idea not to be vaccinated? Good singer, not got a lot of smarts though.
Honestly in Meat Loaf’s case I can’t help but think it was a bit of suicidal thinking - he said several things after Jim Steinman’s death that made it sound like he was in a hurry to follow him to the grave.

That said, in recent years he had praised Trump, appeared several times on Mike Huckabee’s TBN program and had spoken out against vaccine mandates and mask mandates. And he had a world tour, new album and reality TV show in the works, which challenges the suicidal ideation theory - so yeah maybe in the camp of great artist not so clever in other realms.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan