Ken Jennings, go to hell, you son of a bitch

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Big RR

Re: Ken Jennings, go to hell, you son of a bitch

Post by Big RR »

Why is this so difficult to admit?
I am breaking my last promise of a final post here because I did want to make one point. Because rape, especially the type of rape Bialik is apparently referring to (violent rape by a stranger) is different. Leaving a door unlocked might attract a would be thief, but what a woman is wearing has nothing to do with her being the victim of such a rape. Might it have something to do with date rape (or acquaintance rape)? Perhaps, but I am not certain. But as Bialik's statement has to do with public behavior, not how someone behaves on a date (or with their husband for that matter), which will be quite different (as she even states), I don't think she is considering such assaults.

And, FWIW, I do think there are things women can do to reduce the risk of the violent assault (prudent actions like being cautious of where one is, trying not to be alone, etc.), but I just don't think a woman's manner of dress is one of them.

liberty

Post by liberty »

The other night I met a cop; when she showed up, my first thought was God, she’s somebody’s baby; she was only about 5 foot 2 or 4 at the most. Without her gun, I think she’s been helpless. Perhaps you could handle the average size guy, but someone like Craig Price 250 pounds Could take her gun away from her and do whatever he wanted with her, which might be a little too graphic for a form like this. She was a sweet little thing, but that won’t save her ass when she is facing some guy who weighs 250 pounds and has a feeling of superiority, having intimidated people all his life due to his size. Perhaps a woman shouldn’t be a cop, just a thought. She must be brave, but that won’t save her either.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

What would the difference in qualification to be a police officer be between a 5' 2" male and 5' 2" female?

liberty

Post by liberty »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:57 pm
What would the difference in qualification to be a police officer be between a 5' 2" male and 5' 2" female?
I have never seen a 5 foot 2 male police officer; I don’t know if a guy 5 foot two would qualify as a police officer. I have, however, seen an awful lot of short female cops. The smaller the person is, the more dependent they will be on their gun to protect themselves. Are there some jobs women just physically can’t do; just asking the question.

https://mtonews.com/

MediaTakeOut.com just learned that a Kansas police officer was kidnapped and sexually assaulted.

The Johnson County Sheriff’s Department released word yesterday a female deputy was abducted late Friday from a parking lot as she headed into work at the detention center in Olathe.

The deputy was only on the force for about six months and was not in uniform at the time. It's not clear whether the ANIMALS knew that she was an officer.

The Kansas City Star reports that the department on Sunday released video of the car believed to have been used in the abduction, and authorities want to question two men who may have been in the car.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Until the 1970s there were minimum heights required for police and firefighters around here. Probably everywhere. And they didn't hire women firefighters or hire women for police patrolling positions. (I didn't look this up but that's how I remember it) I remember my brother, who became a firefighter in the 70s and went on to become a fire chief, saying he was just tall enough to become a fireman. He was my little brother in height but my big brother in age - :D

Personally, I would prefer all police people to be taller than average, whether they're men or women. But thinking like that probably makes me a bad discriminatory person. I don't think height matters much for firefighters as long as they can pass the physical test to get hired.

MajGenl.Meade

Re: Depends which direction one measures

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

SAPS seeks to expand Visible Policing program
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

wide load.jpg

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

liberty, that has to be one of the most ignorant, sexist posts you've made around here — and I'll say right here that some of your other comments had already put that bar unbelievably high — but when even I'm able to notice it, you've just set yourself a new world's record.

For all you know she could have been ex-military police (when I was the dispatcher with our local campus police back in the 1980s and 1990s I worked with a couple of them, on our own small cadre as well as local LEOs); and if you are at all accurate about your alleged stint with the armed forces you should know that basic training does include hand-to-hand combat techniques, including how to subdue a subject who is (first) larger than yourself; (2) armed; and (C) attacking you from the rear or otherwise starting with a tactical advantage.

Or maybe you think that the only females qualified to be cops should be 250-pound bull dykes with a permanent case of PMS?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Funny how when you’re expression concern about women working in jobs where they have to physically grapple with larger people, sometimes very combative, on a daily basis, you apparently give not a single thought to the women in the nursing profession who do this all day long, every day, for decades across a career. Does their physical well being and safety count for so little?

Most of the cops killed in the line of duty are men; apparently being a little taller and heavier doesn’t guarantee physical safety.

There are many reasons women should be cops - over half the population police serve are female, and women cops are particularly valuable as sexual assault investigators and child molestation investigators, and working with child victims and witnesses in general.

The link I’m sharing below is a great example of what women can bring to policing - it contains body cam footage of an incident in Florida last November where a supervising officer lost his shit and got aggressive with a suspect who was already handcuffed and detained in the back of a police vehicle. While none of the other male cops on scene did anything to intervene, the female cop on scene followed her training and department policy by grabbing the aggressing officer by his belt and pulling him off the suspect. For her trouble he grabbed her by the throat, assaulting her aggressively. None of the male officers do anything to intervene. She was later commended by her chief and the aggressor was put on desk duty pending the long exhaustive process required to get rid of piece of shit cops.

From my experience, and well established domestic violence data, a man who will choke a woman - especially in public, especially a coworker - is a dangerously violent man who has likely assaulted women in the past, and most likely routinely assaults his partner and/or children.

This video is a great example both of the critical role women can play bringing civility and ethics to policing, and that the greatest risk they face in such jobs is the animosity, aggression, and apathy of their male coworkers.

https://www.insider.com/video-florida-c ... man-2022-1

Oh also - fuck you, liberty.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

liberty

Post by liberty »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:50 am
liberty, that has to be one of the most ignorant, sexist posts you've made around here — and I'll say right here that some of your other comments had already put that bar unbelievably high — but when even I'm able to notice it, you've just set yourself a new world's record.

For all you know she could have been ex-military police (when I was the dispatcher with our local campus police back in the 1980s and 1990s I worked with a couple of them, on our own small cadre as well as local LEOs); and if you are at all accurate about your alleged stint with the armed forces you should know that basic training does include hand-to-hand combat techniques, including how to subdue a subject who is (first) larger than yourself; (2) armed; and (C) attacking you from the rear or otherwise starting with a tactical advantage.

Or maybe you think that the only females qualified to be cops should be 250-pound bull dykes with a permanent case of PMS?
-"BB"-
I’m sorry you feel that way, Bill, but I will not give up my objectivity; reality is a reality whether you like it or not, and in the final analysis, mass matters. Barney Fife does not have the mass to do the things that Sheriff Andy can do, and that’s just the way it is. I was in the Air Force trained as a security police augmentee and in subduing techniques and the use of the riot baton. I could put an individual in a thumb hold, but if he is strong enough, he can still break loose. I once was skilled in the use of the 4-foot baton, including some nasty techniques such as testicle jam and a knee slap, but a big enough and agile enough individual still can take the baton. That is why we had armed backup.

Sorry Bill, I hate to tell you this those Kung Fu movies where the fighter jumps 20 feet in the air and chops off the top of a pine tree with one karate chop are a bunch crap. A certain amount of mass can only do so much. Has anyone ever put this idea to the test: has anyone ever matched a 5 foot two woman against a 6 foot 4 250 pound man to see what the outcome would be. I’d be willing to bet regardless of how strong and skilled a woman is, a reasonably agile man of such a size would overcome her. Hell, he’d overcome men of the same size. And don’t tell me that big guys are all just gentle giants that a is a bunch crap too.

liberty

Post by liberty »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:09 pm

I have always loved and valued, and respected women, especially my wife, daughter, granddaughter, and a great-granddaughter. I have a granddaughter who is a young and strikingly beautiful woman, and that is not just grandfather prejudice talking. She is Beautiful enough to be a top model. She is a small woman, and I worry about her all the time. I have warned her that her beauty makes her a target. I have stopped short of advising her to get a gun; she has my equally beautiful great-granddaughter in the house. If something should happen to her, I will be consumed with guilt for not advising her to arm herself.

Oh also that invitation you mentioned, I will have to decline. You are way too young, and I am way too old, and that is another reality that can’t be overcome.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

And now for an opinion that actually merits attention:
Women in Policing

The Numbers Fall Far Short of the Need

Police Chief Magazine
The presence of women in policing in the United States lags well behind that of comparable countries. Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom all have nearly twice the U.S. percentage of policewomen.1 That persistent hiring deficit defies research spanning more than 50 years that well documents the benefits of women in policing.

Women are consistently rated as trusted by their communities and, importantly, are motivated to serve communities in an era of decreased police legitimacy.2 Women have high levels of interpersonal communication skills, which translates into more effective practices in the field.3 Women are found to have a calming effect on male partners in high-stress and dangerous assignments, resulting in fewer police deaths.4 Higher levels of female representation are associated with organizations that emphasize community policing.5 Female police officers have a positive influence on the perceived job performance, trustworthiness, and fairness of a police agency, perhaps increasing the public’s willingness to cooperate in the production of positive public safety outcomes.6

Female officers are less likely to use force, use excessive force, or be named in a lawsuit than male officers.7 Research has found that male officers were more likely than female officers to be aggressive as a result of some quality of the encountered member of the public, such as race or socioeconomic class8 Even though studies show that subjects use the same amount of force against female officers as against male officers, and in some cases, more force, female officers are more successful in defusing violent or aggressive behavior.9

Though the research confirms the many benefits of having more women in policing, female police representation in the United States has stagnated over the past 20 years at around 12 percent. This may be due to an unwelcoming culture within many police organizations.10 Old stereotypes associated with women are defended by elements of some police institutions, creating formidable barriers for female applicants and women navigating the profession. In surveys, female officers perceived that they were subjected to more criticism than their male counterparts, due to masculine values that support and advance masculinity, as well as sexism that negatively impacts women’s experience in policing.11

Research Evidence and Legal Challenges to Police Ability Tests

When women began to be hired by U.S. police departments, they were often segregated into gendered roles focusing on social service or they filled clerical positions. With the passage of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, women’s participation in all aspects of law enforcement and public safety occupations increased, but only to a point. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) noted, “Once employers could no longer segregate women into peripheral jobs, they began using screening tests for public safety occupations.”12

Among the first screening tests were height and weight requirements. In the 1977 Dothard v. Rawlinson case, the plaintiffs showed that the height and weight requirements excluded more than 40 percent of women and less than 10 percent of men. In that case, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the use of height and weight as a screening mechanism was unlawful discrimination against women and some minority groups.13 In Blake v. City of Los Angeles (1979), a federal appellate court ruled that police height requirements violated Title VII because the police department did not establish that a height minimum was necessary for safe and efficient job performance.14

After the courts rejected height requirements, police departments turned to physical ability tests (PATs). The PATs were soon challenged, with plaintiffs alleging that the exams were specifically developed to screen out women rather than test work-required abilities.15 Flawed validation studies were found to be self-reinforcing.16 Research established that “on the rare occasions when the skills tested would be needed in emergency situations, other skills of teamwork, communication, and judgment were not tested.”17

Commonly, PAT policies overemphasize upper body strength, which may discourage female applicants.18 In a 2018 survey of criminal justice undergraduates in five universities, women comprised 56 percent of the sample, yet 46 percent of the women surveyed were apprehensive about the PAT for police careers.19 Women are right to be concerned about the PAT: Women fail police fitness tests at higher rates than men, though the validity of many PAT programs are in question.20

A researcher set out to investigate the experience of recruits in police academies. She applied and was accepted into a police academy training program, where she experienced recruit training firsthand. During participant observation as a police recruit, researcher Irene Prokos found that male recruits were indoctrinated through an “unofficial curriculum”:

By watching and learning from instructors and each other, male students developed a form of masculinity that (1) excluded women students and exaggerated differences between them and men; and (2) denigrated women in general.21

Courts have consistently ruled that PATs that produce disparities on the basis of gender are unlawful, unless they have been validated as bona fide work requirements (United States v. Virginia et. al., 1996; Bauer v. Lynch, 2016; U.S. v. City of Erie, 2005).22 Overemphasis on physical strength in police academies, without validation as a bona fide occupational qualification (BFOQ), runs afoul of the EEOC and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act.23 However, many of the nearly 18,000 law enforcement agencies in the United States continue to rely on PATs that produce disparate outcomes without validation of the tests’ alignment with work requirements.24

Some agencies have opted for PATs that are gender-normed, meaning the requirements differ for men and women. Currently, the U.S. Army, Drug Enforcement Administration, Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), and U.S. Marshals Service have gender-normed tests. To be sure, gender-normed PATs are not required, but the courts do require that any PAT selected be validated as measuring BFOQ, if it is to be defensible in court.25

In a challenge to gender-normed PATs, a male FBI trainee who failed the pushup requirements test on five occasions sued because women were required to perform fewer pushups than men. In deciding the matter of Bauer v Lynch, a federal appeals court held that physical fitness tests that account for physiological differences based on gender are not discriminatory as long as they impose equal fitness-level burdens on men and women, noting that “equally fit” men and women may achieve different raw scores on a PAT.26

As its rationale, the court stated that having identical requirements for men and women essentially demanded a higher level of fitness for women than for men because, “men and women are simply not physiologically the same for the purposes of physical fitness programs.” 27 The court did not prohibit gender-neutral tests—the ruling was specific to the legality of gender-normed tests. The court showed deference to the FBI, noting that the PAT was researched and piloted prior to implementation and was statistically defensible in testing fitness while avoiding disparities based on gender. A well-designed PAT program will be defensible in court, meeting both legal requirements and the physical requirements of the job.

The U.S. Army is in the process of developing a gender-neutral physical fitness test, with a research phase implemented over two years. The development process has included feedback from scientists, commanders, and soldiers. The exercises were selected for being “scientifically viable” in the degree to which they mimicked physical movements of soldiers on the battlefield. This is the validation process, in action. The Army is piloting the proposed PAT program in 60 battalions. This is the evaluation process, in action. The Army is training soldiers to pass the new fitness test, and it expects to fully implement the new fitness test program in October 2020.28 This is the implementation plan.

Conclusion

The current state of the law and progress in the U.S. military should be encouraging for women, and yet those advances only beg the question. How many of the United States’ 664 state and local police academies have a PAT that includes validation, implementation, and evaluation processes? How many of the 664 state or local agencies and police academies in the United States are investing in preparing applicants and recruits of all genders to pass the PAT?

Ivonne Roman is a former chief of police with the Newark, New Jersey, Police Department. She was selected and served for three years as a LEADS scholar at the National Institute of Justice, U.S. Department of Justice. She holds a master’s degree in public administration from Rutgers University–Camden, and is pursuing her PhD. She is also a TED Talks fellow, National Police Foundation fellow, and executive board member of the American Society of Evidence-Based Policing.
Notes:

1 Tim Prenzler and Georgina Sinclair, “The Status of Women Police Officers: An International Review,” International Journal of Law, Crime and Justice 41, no. 2 (June 2013): 115–131.

2 Natalie Todak, “The Decision to Become a Police Officer in a Legitimacy Crisis,” Women and Criminal Justice 27, no. 4 (2017): 250–270.

3 W. Dwayne Orrick, Best Practices Guide: Recruitment, Retention, and Turnover of Law Enforcement Personnel (Alexandria, VA: Smaller Police Departments Technical Assistance Program, international Association of Chiefs of Police, 2008).

4 Christine Jacqueline Johns, Effects of Female Presence on Male Police Officers’ Shooting Behavior (master’s thesis, Michigan State University, 1976).

5 Todak, “The Decision to Become a Police Officer in a Legitimacy Crisis.”

6 Norma M. Riccucci, Gregg G. Van Ryzin, and Cecilia F. Lavena, “Representative Bureaucracy in Policing: Does It increase Perceived Legitimacy?” Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 24, no. 3 (July 2014): 537–551.

7 Kim Lonsway et al., Hiring and Retaining More Women: The Advantages to Law Enforcement Agencies (National Center for Women & Policing, 2003); Amie Shuck and Cara Rabe-Hemp, “Citizen Complaints and Gender Diversity in Police Organisations,” Policing and Society 26, no. 8 (2016): 859–874.

8 Judith Greenwald, Aggression as a Component of Police-Citizen Transactions: Differences Between Male and Female Police Officers (PhD dissertation, City University of New York, 1976).

9 Amie Shuck and Cara Rabe-Hemp, “Women Police: The Use of Force by and Against Female Officers,” Women & Criminal Justice 16, no. 4 (2005): 91–117.

10 Gary Cordner and Annmarie Cordner, “Stuck on a Plateau? Obstacles to Recruitment, Selection, and Retention of Woman Police,” Police Quarterly 14, no. 3 (September 2011): 207–226.

11 Joana Castelhano et al., “Police Training Course for Agents—Entry into the Profession and Also into the Distinction Between Men and Women,” Work 41, Supplement 1 (2012): 4637–4641.

12 Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Program Evaluation: Recruitment & Hiring Gender Disparities in Public Safety Occupations (Office of Federal Operations, 2018), 12.

13 Dothard v. Rawlinson, 433 U.S. 321 (1977).

14 Blake v. City of Los Angeles, 595 F.2d 1367 (1979).

15 Larry K. Gaines, Steve Falkenberg, and Joseph A. Gambino, “Police Physical Agility Testing: A Historical and Legal Analysis,” American Journal of Police 12, no. 4 (1993): 47–66.

16 Gaines, Falkenberg, and Gambino, “Police Physical Agility Testing,” citing Officers for Justice v. Civil Service Commission of the City of San Francisco, 395 F.Supp. 378 (N.D. Cal. 1975).

17 Tim Prenzler, “Rebuilding the Walls? The Impact of Police Pre-Entry Physical Ability Tests on Female Applicants,” Current Issues in Criminal Justice 7, no. 3 (1996): 314–324.

18 Anne Li Kringen and Madeline Novich, “Is It ‘Just Hair’ or Is It ‘Everything’? Embodiment and Gender Repression in Policing,” Gender, Work & Organization 25, no. 2 (March 2018): 195–213.

19 Charles Scheer, Michael Rossler, and Leonard Papania, “Interest in Police Patrol Careers: An Assessment of Potential Candidates’ Impressions of the Police Recruitment, Selection, and Training Processes,” Aquila (2018).

20 Michael L. Birzer and Delores E. Craig, “Gender Differences in Police Physical Ability Test Performance,” American Journal of Police 15, no. 2 (November 2017): 93–108.

21 Anastasia H. Prokos and Irene Padavic, “‘There Oughtta Be a Law Against Bitches’: Masculinity Lessons in Police Academy Training,” Gender, Work & Organization 9, no. 4 (August 2002): 439–459.

22 Andrew Ford, “NJ Police Tests Fail Women Recruits. Here’s How It Hurts Your Safety and Your Wallet,” app., February 25, 2020.

23 United States v. Virginia, 518 U.S. 515 (1996); Bauer v. Lynch, 812 F.3d 340 (4th Cir. 2016); United States v. City of Erie, PA, 411 F.Supp.2d 524 (W.D. Pa. 2005).

24 Corina Schulze, “The Masculine Yardstick of Physical Competence: U.S. Police Academy Fitness Tests,” Women & Criminal Justice 22, no. 2 (2012): 89–107.

25 Ford, “NJ Police Tests Fail Women Recruits.”

26 Bauer, 812 F.3d 340.

27 Bauer, 812 F.3d at 350.

28 Meghann Myers, “Here’s an Early Draft of the Army’s New Fitness Test Standards,” Military Times, August 1, 2018.

Please cite as

Ivonne Roman, “Women in Policing: The Numbers Fall Far Short of the Need,” Police Chief Online, April 22, 2020.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

liberty wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:30 pm
BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:09 pm

I have always loved and valued, and respected women, especially my wife, daughter, granddaughter, and a great-granddaughter. I have a granddaughter who is a young and strikingly beautiful woman, and that is not just grandfather prejudice talking. She is Beautiful enough to be a top model. She is a small woman, and I worry about her all the time. I have warned her that her beauty makes her a target. I have stopped short of advising her to get a gun; she has my equally beautiful great-granddaughter in the house. If something should happen to her, I will be consumed with guilt for not advising her to arm herself.

Oh also that invitation you mentioned, I will have to decline. You are way too young, and I am way too old, and that is another reality that can’t be overcome.
You do not value or respect women when you pigeonhole them and disregard their competency. Period.

I note that you entirely disregarded the substance of my post and used your response to toot your own narcissistic horn and hold yourself out to be a loving protector of women. You are, in fact, a disgusting misogynist. Period.
~ Carl Sagan

dales

Post by dales »

Pass the brownies.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Mr. Liberty, as far as I know nobody who posts here with any regularity has any responsibility for hiring cops. You do not indicate what jurisdiction your 5' female peace officer is working in. I strongly suspect any police jurisdiction in the USofA has legal requirements for, mental, emotional and physical characteristics.. If a person meets those requirements, sex or gender is not significant. If you believe this person you describe is not qualified to serve as a cop, why are you complaining here?

Have you expressed your concerns to the management of the police unit where she works?

snailgate.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Considered Kim Potter a female police officer who had an outstanding record and never had any complaints against her. A suspect resisted arrest, and her trainee got himself into trouble, and she attempted to rescue him and got her gun confused with her Taser and shot the suspect with her gun. Because of that mistake, Kim goes to prison for years; her life ruined, her twenty years of police work down the drain, her pension is gone. If she had been big enough, she could have pulled the guy out of the car. I bet Kim wishes she’d never gone into police work.

When cops go to prison for mistakes, can you blame cops for playing it safe and letting a suspect go rather than being another Kim Potter? Does anyone wonder why crime is out of control in big liberal cities?

It appears that most police shootings are the outgrowth of a suspect resisting arrest. Perhaps resisting arrest should be a felony equivalent to manslaughter because it could result in someone dying.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Next, liberty is going to recommend that they just let the cops have their batons back so they can beat an unyielding subject into submission.  So what if the perp sustains the odd broken bone or two, or one or two of them perhaps die?  BFD ... you have to break a couple of eggs if you're going to make an omelet.

And besides, they brought it on themselves by refusing to heed a police officer's lawful order.

Ain't that right, liberty?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

liberty wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:28 am
....If she had been big enough, she could have pulled the guy out of the car. I bet Kim wishes she’d never gone into police work...
There were two other male officers wrestling with Duante Wright just before she shot him. It wouldn't matter if she was a large strong woman or man. She wasn't in a position to physically pull the guy out of his car.
liberty wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:28 am
It appears that most police shootings are the outgrowth of a suspect resisting arrest. Perhaps resisting arrest should be a felony equivalent to manslaughter because it could result in someone dying.
I agree that resisting arrest has probably gotten more than a few people shot but in this case it should have only gotten Duante tasered. He was trying to escape, he wasn't attacking anyone. Potter made a terrible and stupid mistake but the fact Potter is a woman had nothing to do with it.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

While contemplating a reply to liberty’s latest insulting nonsense post, I found this piece on taser/gun mishaps that I thought others might find interesting: https://www.police1.com/use-of-force/ar ... yIcmjrOfM/

I then decided that with life growing shorter by the day, I wouldn’t waste my time replying to liberty again. In fact I think he belongs with BB and others in the shit pile of thoughts not worth my precious time.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

BB, Yes, bring back the nightstick, or specifically the PR24 baton, which is the modern version. It is about the same length as the nightstick my uncle carried as a street cop in the 1940's but made of tough plastic with a small 90 degree handle near one end. Go review the reports and pictures from the 1968 Chicago Democratic Convention 'police riots' The baton was used by the Chicago cops with great effectiveness and few injuries that required professional medical treatment. The PR24 has utility beyond the old nightstick for controlling and immobilizing a perp. BUT IT NEEDS TRAINING if it's to be anything but a club. As the link in BSG's post above points out, there is a basic failure in training for the Taser and the Pistol. The Taser does not work the way the public generally expects, except in very limited circumstances. The pistols need regularly training beyond once-a-year-qualificaiton but that burns up expensive ammunition, Orthodox cop doctrine now advices lethal force be used against any perp with a knife or any other weapon, if the perp is less than 7 yards away. Circumstances that call for non-lethal force are much more common than a requirement to shoot. In most jurisdictions the cop has the choice of strong words, the Taser, lethal force. This is not much of a selection when the possibility of violence is escalating.

snailgate