Thunder Force

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
MajGenl.Meade

Thunder Force

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

How did they come so close to the obvious title for this movie - yet missed it? :lol:

Or maybe they did it on purpose? :shrug
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Re: Thunder Force

Post by BoSoxGal »

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:45 pm
How did they come so close to the obvious title for this movie - yet missed it? :lol:
Did you actually watch the movie?
GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Sue U wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:22 pm
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Don't be absurd! (And I made no remark about the movie other than to wonder if the title was chosen on purpose)
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

What is YOUR weight these days Meade? Are you svelte? Or are you in the camp of the 70%+ of Americans who are overweight and/or obese?

Let’s see you put a skin tight leotard on, snap a photo and post it here so any other juvenile humor addicts can make fun of YOUR body.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

Thunder thighs?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

What is a decent human being to do in a society where body shaming is common, even a 'norm' in many places? Grossly heavy is generally taken to be unhealthy, indicator of serious emotional problems, just offensively ugly, even a personal choice.

I have a friend who is a lawyer, about 20 years younger than me in successful single practice. Almost all family law with emphasis on the best interest of minor children. The only legal business I have brought him is that he did my and my wife's wills (very simple everything I have goes to my wife, and then to my daughter if wife is not around. Hers was similar. But the wills made it all official and easier for survivors) We meet for lunch regularly to discuss local politics and the state of the world in general.

He has a daughter who was slightly heavy when she went away to college. She graduated very heavy, and it kept going up. She trained to be a middle school teacher but could not find a job beyond short term substitute, for three years. And she got heavier. Her father and I never mentioned his daughter's physical appearance with each other. I strongly suspect her job hunting was negatively influenced by her weight. Neither parent is visibly overweight. Finally she got a real teaching contract. After good success with her students and the school management system, she was a team leader. Now she is working hard on a master's degree with special qualifications as a teacher of English as a second language. Near the beginning of the pandemic lockdown she had the serious abdominal surgery to mess with her ability to eat and process the intake. It seems to have really worked. ( I can't say the same for New Jersey ex-govenor Christie) Now she looks to be 'normal' weight as defined by the insurance company charts. She has maintained that for a while now.

I am having lunch with her father tomorrow. I would like to mention his daughter's weight loss to him with a query as to how I can speak to his daughter casually about this in a way that communicates I believe she has made an unusual, difficult and successful life change.

A long long time ago my employer imposed on everyone mandatory classes on a new legal problem of 'hostile work environment' which included big cheese cake calendars present in the maintenance shops which were commonly provided for free by tool and parts manufacturers. All men would be very carefully prudent about saying to any female worker "you are looking good today". The immediate kickback was: 'You got to be kidding! Women are THAT fragile?" The answer from management was: 'You better believe it and you guys are gonna be fired if you don't take this seriously' The calendars came down. At that time body shaming was not included--only the other end of the spectrum, words about appearance intended as complements would be easily interpreted as threatening.

I have no idea what this movie "Thunder Force' is. Looking at the picture at the head of this thread, that could easily (to me) be a parody of the James Bond girls.

What is a decent human being to do in a society where body shaming is common, even a 'norm' in many places?

snailgate

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:28 pm
Sue U wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:22 pm
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Don't be absurd! (And I made no remark about the movie other than to wonder if the title was chosen on purpose)
The movie is a send-up of the super-hero genre and includes jokes about body image (among many other things), emphasizing body positivity. And yes, the title was quite obviously "chosen on purpose," embracing that message. It's not intended to be a hard-hitting satire. I think Melissa McCarthy is pretty funny no matter what size she is, and this movie was reasonably entertaining and really rather sweet.
GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I didn't make fun of anyone's body. No, I saw a picture of two hugely overweight women from a movie called "Thunder Force".

I thought about that and wondered if the film title was chosen by someone thinking of the expression that Gob identified. Cruel if that were the case.

I wouldn't see their (44 out of 100) movie if I was paid to do so, even were the roles less filled by Sandra Bullock and Scarlet. In any case, both of those actors would, I hope, be less obviously desperate for work and attention.

Those obsessed with seeing me in a leotard had better pray it never happens :lol:

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Silly me.  I saw a picture of two women — yes, a bit on the zaftig side — in superhero-type suits against a sort of sci-fi background, noted the title ("Thunder Force"), and thought they were trying to parody/rip off 'Thunderbirds'.  You know, the 1960s TV show with marionettes that was ripped off by Trey Parker when he did 'Team America: World Police'.

Maybe it's because in my corner of the real world this is what most women look like, women with a little meat on their bones.  We don't have whole lot of, as Edna Mode ('E' in The Incredibles) described them, "Spoiled, stupid, little stick figures with poofy lips who think only about themselves" with fake boobs and enhanced badonkadonks wandering around.

And for whatever it's worth, either one of them could eat crackers in my bed any time they wanted to.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

Burning Petard wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:12 pm

What is a decent human being to do in a society where body shaming is common, even a 'norm' in many places?
Yes, fat/thin/ginger/gay/lesbian/old/young/trans/disabled (etc etc ad nauseum,) people should not be considered funny. Only middle aged, white heterosexual males, those not included in any of the aforementioned categories, should be the butt of humour.

That's equality for you!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Massey University academic Cat Pausé dies suddenly
Aaron Leaman 22:12, Mar 26 2022
Dr Cat Pausé, pictured here in 2016, was a senior lecturer at Massey University
Cat Pausé,​ an academic whose research explored the impacts of “fat stigma”, has died.

A fat studies researcher, Pausé's work focused on the wellbeing of overweight people and “the effects of spoiled identities” on their health.
Sorry for the lady's passing, but really . . . "Massey" University? Couldn't they have changed the name?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Burning Petard wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:12 pm
I do dislike the term 'body-shaming' and its fellow travelers fat-shaming and slut-shaming and age-shaming and the rest. Shame is what one should feel or be made to feel if someone has done something reprehensible. So dictator shaming is on for Putin and Mugabe (R.I.not-in-P.) and their ilk; or bellicosity shaming for D Trump and his erstwhile buddy Kim Jong-Un.

Fat shaming has come to mean implying or saying that Ms X (usually a Ms but not always) is chunkier than the 'shamer' would like her to be. To me the shame should be on the 'shamer' rather than the 'shamee.' Ms X might be quite happy about her weight or may have some medical condition - but in any case it's no-one else's business except perhaps her family and her doctor.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:13 pm
Fat shaming has come to mean implying or saying that Ms X (usually a Ms but not always) is chunkier than the 'shamer' would like her to be. To me the shame should be on the 'shamer' rather than the 'shamee.' Ms X might be quite happy about her weight or may have some medical condition - but in any case it's no-one else's business except perhaps her family and her doctor.
From a 2017-2018 CDC study:

“There was no significant difference in the prevalence of obesity between men and women overall or by age group.”

But I agree with you, it’s usually women being fat shamed. I’m sure that’s got nothing to do with sexism.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Sexism? Perhaps; but then the most fat/obesity shaming I have heard comes from women about other women. I'm sure there are any number of reasons for this, but it is something I have seen since I was very young.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Taking away the shame of being perceived as grossly obese is one less incentive to change.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Perhaps, but change should come through dispassionate consideration, not some adolescent shaming. I would bet most people who lose eight due to "shaming" gain it back fairly quickly, while those who make a choice to lose eight for other reasons, may well initiate a permanent changes. At least that has been my experience. And IMHO the negative psychological effects of the shaming grossly outweigh any positive effects they may have.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

What exactly do we mean by "shaming"? I suppose there might be cruel people who actively confront our chubby bros and sis and say "Hey fatso". But I would hope that is quite rare.

It seems to me that "shaming" is more to do with choices made by media (since that's the widespread disseminator as opposed to some kid yelling "tubolard") and by those (us) who view media. Thus, fashion model are supposed to be thin (horribly so, IMO in many cases) - "attractive" actors are slimmish - on-screen personalities are (or were) supposed to be thin etc etc. Competitions exist for the "attractive" - Miss This and Miss that. Beauty magazines (and for that matter, men's fitness mags) dwell on non-rotundity. And so on. But this is really ignoring rather than "shaming" is it not?

The irony is that no one "wants" (other than some fetish folks) a fat guy or gal - but we all seem to end being one or being with one or both. We do, most of us, tend to spread and slump a bit with time. I wouldn't want to watch me (or anyone I know - except perhaps one) in a state of undress in a movie. Maybe that's ageism AND fat-shaming?

And this . . . well this is indefensible
Oh, I know these days there’s a fashion amongst a certain class to declare that physical beauty is entirely the wrong standard to use in judging the worth of a person. I dare say they may be right in some circumstances. I’d rather have an elephantine Susan Talbot standing betwixt me and flying bullets than I would an elfin houri for example—and I’ve never been one to hold additional weight against a woman, other than my own of course. But you could make the same argument about landscapes, and I have.

Show me a woman, I cry, who given the choice between a picnic on a gentle green hillside, beflowered in Spring and all ruffled by a soft warm breeze; overlooking a joyous waterfall, cascading into a sparkling pool where birds and fishes disport themselves in the dappled sunlight—given that choice, I say, which of them will instead insist upon spreading their blanket on a Welsh coal tip in order to admire the runnels of filthy water dribbling down through the detritus of industry, no matter how valuable mining may be? I exempt Welsh women from this for they are accustomed to it.

Show me a man, if he be a man, who’d enter a hippopotamus in the Derby rather than a horse. Show me! I shout it as they hustle me from the Fishing Company and out the door. If this trend continues, they’ll end up barring me and letting women join instead.

Mind you, I’m not against equality—not entirely anyway. The sooner women get the vote the better—all the horse-faced, overweight, under-endowed creatures will get into Parliament where they can do the least harm to anything that matters. You’ll see if I’m not right. Thank God I won’t be there at the time.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Who is the author of that rant?
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

Plus size, body positive model. Not a role model I'd want for my kid.