Apocalypse Now Redux

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
BoSoxGal

Apocalypse Now Redux

Post by BoSoxGal »

Somehow I just got around to watching the director’s cut. It was surreal because I’ve seen the theatrical release at least 50 times, it was my brother's favorite movie the summer I got my braces on and was home instead of down the Cape with my grandparents. He controlled the remote, it was summer in Arizona so daytime we hid inside and watched cable and in those days they only played like 10-15 movies per month on a loop and we watched them until we knew them by heart. I know Apocalypse Now by heart and several others including Breaking Away and The Warriors.

Anyway I wasn’t a big fan of the extra Robert Duvall content or the weird episode with the stranded Playboy bunnies but I did *really* like the dinner party scene with the French plantation family. I’m sorry it was cut from the theatrical release.

That’s as far as I’ve got not sure how much is added to the Kurtz bits but enjoying this trip down memory lane with icing.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Re: Apocalypse Now Redux

Post by Big RR »

I liked the French planter scene as well, although critics at the time generally did not. I'm not sure where you are in the fim, but there are a few more scenes that are good. But even if the scenes don't add all that much, they don't detract that much either. And Apocalyse Now (with or without a redux) is the definitive Vietnam War movie, if not war movie in general. I haven't watched it as many times as you, but it is a film I have watched again and again; there aren't a lot of movies I could even try to do that with.

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

First time I saw it, was the directors cut that was shown on AMC uncut and uncensored in the late 90s. One of the first R rated movies AMC showed. This was after my first stint in the Navy, so I had military experience. It still was a very powerful movie. Lots of gut punches.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The junk boat scene is the most gut wrenching - I must have been just 13 when I first saw the film and I remember how much that scene upset me more than anything else in the film, the girl and her puppy. Turns out at 51 it was the same all over again.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan