Movie recommendation

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Big RR

Re: Movie recommendation

Post by Big RR »

Meade a good sort; I recall seeing it in a film course in college, but I think it goes back to the 50s.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Big RR wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 4:32 am
BSG--you mention two very good films there; I especially enjoyed The Tree of Life. Have you wated any other Mallck fiims? I would recommend Badlands and The New World as quite good, although his entire film list is worth the watch.

And since you mention a tendency toward melancholy, I would recommend Lars von Triers' film Melancholia; it wasn't everyone's cup of tea (I saw it at an early screening and a number of people walked out), but it is great in seeing how people deal with incredible adversity (he end of the world) and how depressed people cope the best (I've always suspected that since they really don't expect things to be better, while the glass half full crowd are apt to collapse when things go real bad). As I said before, I think von Trier is a jerk in real life, but he makes incredible films; while they're all worth a watch, one other I highly recommend is Breaking the Waves, quite frankly one of the best films I have ever seen.
Malick is one of my favorite filmmakers, largely because I think The Tree of Life is one of the most brilliant films ever made but I also loved Badlands, Days of Heaven and The Thin Red Line. I recently saw The Voyage of Time and it was just breathtaking. Malick is definitely somebody I would love to have at my fantasy dinner party of filmmakers. I must take the time to see his other films, especially A Hidden Life which has been in my queue for a while. I am a big fan of Michael Nyqvist and this was his last film so keen to see it plus the subject matter resonates. I will also make a point to watch The New World soon.

I really loved Melancholia, I have seen it a few times. I’m a big fan of Lars Von Trier, I know he is surrounded by controversy but I think he has a unique vision and his art is worthwhile aside from the controversy - I would definitely have him to my dinner party for filmmakers. Somebody years ago (I can’t even recall who, damn do I feel old) lent me their dvds of The Kingdom which I really loved, and I’ve seen several of his other films but not all of them - haven’t yet brought myself to watch The House That Jack Built as I think it might go beyond my tolerance for violence. Von Trier’s lifelong struggle with depression definitely colors his vision in his work and that resonates with other melancholics. I would on most days rather watch something very different like Dogville or Antichrist or Nyphomaniac than any of the mainstream pablum put out by much of Hollywood. I’m sure actors are more interested in making such films too because of the artistic challenge they present - even if they probably don’t make the kind of bank that mainstream pablum does.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

You've mentioned some great films there, they are far more interesting than most al the stuff coming out of Hollywood these days. the studios used to put out a number of artistic films along with the blockbuster money makers, but this is becoming less and less; because of this, a lot of the art houses are closing (or starting to play late runs of the blockbusters), and I am seeing a lot more films on DVD and download than I ever thought I would. I prefer going to the theater, but I find myself going less and less.

I like your idea about a party for filmmakers, I would include Malick and von Trier, as well as David Cronenberg, David Lynch, and perhaps David Fincher (who id some greats and some much lesser films). And, since this is a fantasy, I would love to also invite Ingmar Bergman (maybe my favorite director), Fellini, and Stanley Kubrick. They probably wouldn't all get along, but then that would be part of the fun. :D

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I share your pain when it comes to seeing movies at the theatre - during covid the two Regal theaters close to where I live both shut down and never reopened, so I would have to drive more than a half hour to get to a movie theater these days and given my increasing anxiety about driving these days, that’s not happening much if ever.

I would say that having easy access to lots of theaters and especially ones playing art films is something I really loved about living in DC, and I went to movies a lot to survive the law school experience.

PS, I haven’t seen The Red Balloon before (I don’t think so, anyway?) and will check it out later when I am able to watch on my TV instead of phone. I’m sure it deserves more than 7 inches lol.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan