Le Carre' archive

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Gob

Le Carre' archive

Post by Gob »

John le Carré has donated his literary archive to Oxford's Bodleian Library, delivering a crushing blow to archive-hungry American universities and a well-known East Anglian breeding ground for moles alike.

Le Carré, or David Cornwell to use his real name, studied modern languages at Oxford before becoming a civil servant cum intelligence officer. In 1995, he confirmed his Lincoln College tutor the Rev Vivian Green was the inspiration for his most famous creation, George Smiely.

According to the Bodleian, the archive "fills a space the size of a Cornish barn" and "comprises multiple versions of his works, showing the evolution of his thought, his handling of plot and development of character, and his intensive editorial approach".

The Bodleian received 85 boxes last year, and more is still to come. An exhibition of some of the material will kick off on world Book Day next week, and in time, much of the archive will find its way online.

"John le Carré’s writing is not just a key to understanding the history of the Cold War; it is itself a vital and influential part of that history. To have this archive in the Bodleian is a major enrichment of Oxford’s unique collection of primary sources for the study of contemporary history," said Timothy Garton Ash, Professor of European Studies, University of Oxford.

Le Carré said, "I am delighted to be able to do this. Oxford was Smiley’s spiritual home, as it is mine. And while I have the greatest respect for American universities, the Bodleian is where I shall most happily rest."

A number of British literary archives have ended up in the hands of cash rich American universities in recent years. The innermost thoughts of both David Hare and Tom Stoppard will spend eternity at the University of Texas.

As a sometime servant of HRH it would presumably have been unthinkable for Le Carré to have sent his archive to the US. Almost as unthinkable as for it to end up at Cambridge, the recruiting ground for the real life moles that George Smiley spent so many books rooting out. ®

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/24 ... e_archive/
As a long time John Le' Carre fan, I once had the imense pleasure of meeting him and shaking his hand. His house in Cornwall si about six miles from mine, and on a stretch of coast I used to climb at and walk my old dog Jake along, I bumped into him while walking the dog one day. He's a fine chap. I've also attended some of his lectures on his writing. He's very "old school", one of a sadly dying breed.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Re: Le Carre' archive

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Having purchased all of his novels at one time or another (and a couple more than once), I'm quite jealous of your having met him. I did enjoy the 'Smiley' books best but all of his writing reminds me (somehow) of Jane Austen in the way that so often the words mean much more than they say - the nuances and subtleties that (I believe) English writers best capture.

Was Jake named after Jake Thackray?

When Ulysses comes home
He always greets me with an open heart
But you will see how Ulysses
Has taken my life apart

I've got a dog called Ulysses
He plays all day in the park
Sniffing at his friends and the chestnut trees
And chasing cats 'til after dark

When my Ulysses comes home (wag wag woof woof)
His tail in the air
His usual exuberance
Is awfully hard to bear

When I stumble home at night I'm jaded and stale
And so I try to take a little repose
I don't want waking up with a happy tail
I don't want a kiss from a big wet nose

He gets on my wick
For Ulysses communicates
His love with a snuffle and a lick

I like to sit in my fireside chair
Watching telly 'til the epilogue
In a semi-coma and without a care
And I would do if it were not for my bloody dog

Like a maniac
Its useless to pursue my viewing
So I've sent my television back

I tried to climb the social scale
And so I organised a little do
Some very posh people came to my cocktail
But at half-past seven my party was through

When my Ulysees came home (wag wag woof woof)
I knew I was sunk
My guests were not at all impressed
And they left when my dog got drunk

I brought my sweetie home one night
And we both knew that this was it
Sipping Chianti by candlelight
We were getting to a very important bit

When my Ulysees came home (wag wag woof woof)
He broke the spell
Intruding on my beautiful
Romance like a hound from hell

My one solution is quick and grim
A little bottle of cyanide
I can't bring myself to get rid of him
I shall have to perform a suicide

So when Ulysees comes home (wag wag woof woof)
Home for his tea
He'll have to cry a little bit
For having given so much love to me.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

Nice thought Meade, but unfortunately Jake was already named when I adopted him.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

As the judges named the 13 finalists at the University of Sydney, the British author of The Spy Who Came in from the Cold and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy issued a statement through his literary agent, Curtis Brown, saying he would not accept the award if he won, becoming the first author ever to withdraw

The biennial award, which, like the Nobel prize in literature, goes to a fiction writer for his or her body of work, will be announced for the first time in Australia at the Sydney Writers' Festival on May 18.

''I am enormously flattered to be named as a finalist of the 2011 Man Booker International Prize,'' Le Carre said. ''However I do not compete for literary prizes and have therefore asked for my name to be withdrawn.''

The literary director of the Man Booker Prize, Ion Trewin, said there were no submissions for the award and that the three judges decided who they wanted on this list.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/boo ... 1cgb7.html
Typical of the man, a real honest player.