What is an excellent read?

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
liberty

What is an excellent read?

Post by liberty »

What is an excellent read; in my opinion, it’s a yarn it invades your consciousness years after you read it. Here is a couple that I found over the years.

King of Pontus;: The life of Mithradates Eupator Hardcover – January 1, 1959
by Alfred Leo Duggan (Author)
4.7 out of 5 stars 2 ratings

Biography of King Mithradates, Persian King, thorn in the side of Rome, famed for making himself immune to poison by taking a little bit each day.

English Passengers
Matthew Kneale

In 1857 when Captain Illiam Quillian Kewley and his band of rum smugglers from the Isle of Man have most of their contraband confiscated by British Customs, they are forced to put their ship up for charter. The only takers are two eccentric Englishmen who want to embark for the other side of the globe. The Reverend Geoffrey Wilson believes the Garden of Eden was on the island of Tasmania. His traveling partner, Dr. Thomas Potter, unbeknownst to Wilson, is developing a sinister thesis about the races of men.

Meanwhile, an aboriginal in Tasmania named Peevay recounts his people’s struggles against the invading British, a story that begins in 1824, moves into the present with approach of the English passengers in 1857, and extends into the future in 1870. These characters and many others come together in a storm of voices that vividly bring a past age to life.

I can remember very little about this one, who wrote the book, or even the title, but I do remember the subject. I wish to find it again someday, but it may be out of print now.

PRINT
Roland (Hruodland in Frankish) also called "Roland the Valiant," was born in 736 AD and died in 778 at Roncevaux. He was a Frankish knight, Earl of March of Brittany, responsible for defending the frontier of the Frankish kingdom against the Bretons, and - according to legend - nephew of Charlemagne, who became the chief paladin of the emperor and one of the principal figures in the literary cycle known as the Matter of France.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

MajGenl.Meade

Re: What is an excellent read?

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

This was an excellent read:

What do you think, BSG?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hksDqEgPOAI
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts