Down the Fleet to the New King Luddite

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
MajGenl.Meade

Down the Fleet to the New King Luddite

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

An artwork created using artificial intelligence wins competition… and causes uproar
The artwork referred to in the headline is discussed in the link. However, it is NOT the artwork in the Atlantic about which I quote below from the same article. This portion interested me for the boo-hoo-ain't-it-a-shame-they-invented-a-cotton-gin whining by specially entitled 'artists' and 'illustrators' who should never be done out of a job by technology. After all, that never happened to anyone else in all of history.
In a newsletter for the [Atlantic], in which [Charlie Warzel] wrote an interview with a defector from Alex Jones’s Infowars, he used 'Midjourney' to generate a cartoon-style image of Jones, which unleashed an uproar on Twitter . . . A few days later, in his apology article, he explained how he ended up using the image: “Instead of selecting a photo or illustration from Getty Images to go with the story, as I do for most of my newsletters, I decided to try something different and use an AI art tool to come up with the story’s accompanying image" . . .

. . . He was criticised for, among other things, “potentially giving other publications an excuse, or at least an idea, to cut corners on an art budget”. He also shared a conversation he had with Matt Bors, a cartoonist, writer, editor, and founder of the publication The Nib, to better understand the outrage towards his actions. Bors told him: “Technology is increasingly deployed to make gig jobs and to make billionaires richer, and so much of it doesn’t seem to benefit the public good enough… AI art is part of that. To developers and technically minded people, it’s this cool thing, but to illustrators it’s very upsetting because it feels like you’ve eliminated the need to hire the illustrator.”
NSS
Warzel goes on to promise that he will not use Midjourney again, unless he was writing about the technology and wanted to show an example. Closing off his mea culpa, he writes: “I am a doofus. At the heart of all of this is me not thinking things through. And so I’ve commissioned Matt Bors to illustrate me, a doofus, getting yelled at by people online. His excellent work will run as the art in a subsequent newsletter.”
What an abject toady

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article ... es-uproar/
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Crackpot

Re: Down the Fleet to the New King Luddite

Post by Crackpot »

The problem with the cotton Gin is it revitalized the very institution it wanted to destroy. (And poor Eli Whitney didn’t even make money on it)
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.