Theremin

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
BoSoxGal

Theremin

Post by BoSoxGal »

How did I get to be this many years old with a keen interest in music and yet never knew about the theremin until yesterday?!

Incidentally, I learned about it because I watched The Day the Earth Stood Still on TCM last night and there was discussion of this instrument as commonly used in sci fi soundtracks in the early days.

Here’s a quick tutorial:

https://youtu.be/L6zgLvtxxfo

And a longer compilation with a segment early on including the instrument’s creator:

https://youtu.be/hDYvQ8FsZB4

Does everyone else already know about the theremin?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Re: Theremin

Post by Burning Petard »

I remember seeing it on the old pre-Beetles Ed Sullivan show. The box had two vertical rods and the musician waved his hands (yes, it was a male) in and out between the rods. Wiki notes it is older than that--dates from 1928. I was under the impression that electronic music had moved well beyond that with similar principles, but refinements that made the instrument more predictable and wider range of sounds. Now it is standardized with one vertical rod and a horizontal loop. Yes, it was the go-to device for movie sound tracks when something out-of-this-world was wanted. One of the problems was how to write the Mel Bay instruction book. Ballet dance went through a similar stage, developing a special written symbology to describe the dance choreography so it could be preserved and re-created with simple (and much more permanent) pen-and-paper technology. The musician on this instrument dances their hands and fingers.

snailgate
Last edited by Burning Petard on Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Beach Boys, Good Vibrations.

As it happens - I went to look this up to confirm what I thought - that it was Brian Wilson who played it - and it seems that the instrument he played was an Electro-theramin which has a similar sound generation process but a different operating procedure. Good Vibrations is often cited as using a theremin, but purists would disagree.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Sheldon's wrong though. Star Trek did not use a theremin
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:58 pm

Sheldon's wrong though. Star Trek did not use a theremin
https://youtu.be/_YYABE0R3uA
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Whoops! Sorry?

You sure you're not one of those I-phone people? :lol:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:49 pm
Whoops! Sorry?

You sure you're not one of those I-phone people? :lol:
Yes I am! :nana
~ Carl Sagan

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Gwen-the Editec infatuated Gwen, spoke about having one and playing it. They are cool.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

If you like the sound of a theremin you might also want to check out the ondes martenot, another early electronic instrument. More controlled and controllable than the theremin and you can write actual music for it rather than just sound effects. Olivier Messiaen (a truly visionary composer) wrote a number of pieces featuring it in the early part of the last century.
GAH!

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:50 pm
Gwen-the Editec infatuated Gwen, spoke about having one and playing it. They are cool.
I bet Chicken Steve has played with Gwen's theremin... :D

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Joe Guy wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:34 am
TPFKA@W wrote:

You are such an odd man. Oh and I remember it was Guin not Gwen.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I remember Guin and editec from the old Café d'Arte days, but who was Chicken Steve?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

My mate John Otway is a virtuoso on the Theremin.

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Both of those YouTube short links lead nowhere on a search, so those of us with iPhone cannot see them.

PS, I wonder if this is something the phpBB help desk could solve for us? Is there an email contact we use for such issues? Is it something our administrator might look into since I am not the only user confronting the issue which has not resolved by any updates after many many months?
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:00 am
Joe Guy wrote:
TPFKA@W wrote:
Guin..Gwen.... whatever. I thought it was Gwenhyvar or something close to that. I brought that up because they play in a band together. Remember?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:26 am
I remember Guin and editec from the old Café d'Arte days, but who was Chicken Steve?
Chicken Steve was at a place where a few of us from Cafe D'Artre migrated to called, "CyberSoapBox". He, Gwen and editec were friends. The place eventually crumbled and that's when Gob started Plan B to allow us to keep arguing.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Joe Guy wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:55 pm
TPFKA@W wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:00 am
Joe Guy wrote:

Guin..Gwen.... whatever. I thought it was Gwenhyvar or something close to that. I brought that up because they play in a band together. Remember?
More to it than that. Am I right or am I right or am I right? @wink wink nudge nudge say no more@

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

It was Gwenhwyvar (Gwen). I sent three books by Lady Elizabeth Gorell to the children's book project she ran with editec. They were on 3.5" (un)Floppy disks and it was a lot of photocopying (did I have a scanner in 1996+?)

This is their site (or perhaps Gwen isn't involved any more):
http://www.childrensbooksonline.org/About_Rosetta.htm

Started by a "single man" and this page has editec's imprimatur.

And by golly here's the Bear Garden which I sent to them after getting the current Lord Gorell's approval:

http://childrensbooksonline.org/The_Bea ... /index.htm

The others were Bitty and the Bears, and Stubbington Manor

editec unfriended me on FB more recently - took exception to a completely innocuous remark in a conversation we were having. Didn't understand why he was so vehement and nasty about it.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

It was Gwenhwyvar (Gwen). I sent three books by Lady Elizabeth Gorell to the children's book project she ran with editec. They were on 3.5" (un)Floppy disks and it was a lot of photocopying (did I have a scanner in 1996+?)
Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit. I am all mixed up.