RIP Hagrid.

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Gob

RIP Hagrid.

Post by Gob »

Robbie Coltrane, whose acting career spanned everything from Bond films to Cracker to Harry Potter, has died aged 72.

The news was confirmed by his agent on Friday.

Born Anthony Robert McMillan in the prosperous Glaswegian suburb of Rutherglen, Coltrane was educated at Glenalmond College, an independent boarding school whose corporal punishment he described as “legalised violence”, before going to the Glasgow School of Art. He had second thoughts about his ability as a painter, and switched to live performance, acting in radical theatre companies (including a troupe from San Quentin State prison) and doing standup, taking the pseudonym Coltrane as homage to celebrated jazz musician John Coltrane.

His first screen credit was Waterloo Sunset, the Richard Eyre-directed Play for Today in 1979, in which he played opposite Queenie Watts’s care-home escapee. Thereafter, he had small appearances in films and TV shows, including Flash Gordon, Are You Being Served?, Krull and Britannia Hospital, his distinctive appearance and sheer size helping him stand out from the crowd. Coltrane’s comedy skills began to take precedence, as he found success in the early 1980s in TV sketch shows such as Alfresco and A Kick Up the Eighties. These placed him firmly in the school of 80s alternative comedy alongside Ben Elton, Emma Thompson and Rik Mayall – an identity reinforced by his regular participation in Comic Strip Presents films including such key entries as Five Go Mad in Dorset, The Beat Generation and The Bullshitters.

However, Coltrane’s abilities as an actor were increasingly in evidence, and he had considerable success in 1987 with Tutti Frutti, the John Byrne-scripted, Bafta-winning TV series about a washed-up Scottish rock’n’roll band. Coltrane found himself increasingly sought after for bigger roles in higher-profile projects, from Derek Jarman’s Caravaggio (in which he played a cardinal) to Falstaff in Kenneth Branagh’s Henry V. However, it was two religious-themed comedy films – Nuns on the Run and The Pope Must Die – that propelled Coltrane to leading-man status, and put him on the map in the US.

Coltrane’s raised status was confirmed by his casting as the criminal psychologist “Fitz” Fitzgerald in Jimmy McGovern’s TV series Cracker, which first aired in 1993. A defiantly non-comic role, Fitzgerald was a groundbreaking creation: brilliant at his job but a mess in his personal life. Coltrane won the best TV actor Bafta in 1994, 1995 and 1996 for the role. Fitzgerald’s addictive lifestyle also reflected the actor’s: Coltrane admitted to being a heavy drinker in the 1980s, and remained famously combative, once threatening to beat up Piers Morgan in a London restaurant. He then found himself cast in two Bond films, GoldenEye and The World Is Not Enough, as morally ambiguous KGB agent Valentin Dmitrovich Zukovsky.

Coltrane settled into a mid-period career of alternating roles in plush Hollywood productions (Message in a Bottle, From Hell, Ocean’s Twelve) with easygoing TV appearances (Alice in Wonderland, The Gruffalo). He also indulged his interest in vintage cars in the 1997 series Coltrane’s Planes and Automobiles. However, he found himself at the top of the list for the casting of Hogwarts’ school caretaker Rubeus Hagrid in the film adaptation of JK Rowling’s Harry Potter series. The first in the series, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, was released in 2001, and gained Coltrane a new audience of younger fans, and helped re-energise his career, particularly on British TV. In 2009, he played investigating detective DI Hain in David Pirie’s Murderland, and his performance as a TV star accused of sexual abuse in the 2016 Channel 4 show National Treasure was greeted with acclaim.

Coltrane married the sculptor Rhona Gemmell in 1999, but they separated in 2003. They had two children.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Re: RIP Hagrid.

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Alun Armstrong, Robbie and Liam Neeson

If you've not seen Krull, get out the popcorn, pull up a beer and enjoy the movie that isn't quite The Princess Bride
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Nowhere near the Princess Bride. It is one of those movies that have absolutely no business being as good as it is tho. It’s half sci fi and half swords and sorcery with a good helping of cheese but somehow remains watchable and only Minolta
Suffers from the baggage of it’s era.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I will put that in my queue. Another friend said today that I must watch Cracker, in which he plays a tortured psychologist (or psychiatrist?) involved in crime solving - another like The Wire? Anyway it’s on my list to watch with a month of BritBox after I get done my current month of Hulu.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

“Minolta” was supposed to say “minorly”
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Never saw that movie when it first came out .. remember, this was the same year that 'Return of the Jedi' was released.  All I know about 'Krull' is that there was an arcade video game based on it.

But here's a link to an article — https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/k ... nniversary, written back at the end of July, where the reviewer notes that on paper, this looked like a sure-fire hit:
Directed by Peter Yates, of 'Bullitt' fame.  Music by James Horner, just one year after he did 'ST: The Wrath of Khan'.  Special effects by Derek Meddings, fresh off of 'Superman' and 'Superman II'.  And the cast included Francesca Annis one year before she did 'Dune', as well as the initial appearance of not just Robbie Coltrane but also of Liam Neeson.

The problem was that the movie was made to appeal to an audience that was in the theater, enjoying it in the here and now.  It wasn't meant to stand up to scrutiny, not back then and most certainly not now.  But I suppose I can hit the Goodwill store and maybe find a VHS or DVD copy and give it a look-see, now that I've read a little bit more about it.  Hell, I've wasted a couple of hours on sillier things.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Crackpot wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:53 pm
Nowhere near the Princess Bride.
I dunno CP, remember the R.O.U.S.? That's actual contact between the two and then some! Talk about cheese . . .

https://youtu.be/Nv9CkjkOyzo

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

Cracker is a superb series, well worth a watch.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Fitz is a classic antihero: Scottish of Irish origin, alcoholic, a chain smoker, obese, sedentary, addicted to gambling, manic, foul-mouthed and sarcastic and yet cerebral and brilliant.
Since you like it, I'd never have guessed something as pleasant as sarcasm :lol: :nana