All that jazz

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Sue U

All that jazz

Post by Sue U »

There was an article on Pitchfork last week about kids playing jazz. The premise ("kids playing jazz, on the interwebs!") was pretty stupid, but one of the groups the article featured was the duo DOMi & JD Beck, whose music my son introduced me to last year. They are insanely good (DOMi on keyboards, Beck on drums) and their musical interaction is otherworldly. Here's short piece that's also on their new album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pXw_ViZoWI

Oh wait, here's a whole ass live concert (opens with the same song, WHATUP):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CKek270Ytw
GAH!

Burning Petard

Re: All that jazz

Post by Burning Petard »

I think I enjoy all kinds of music, but my big love is jazz, particularly old-fashioned, straight ahead stuff. I am so old I heard it when it was avant-guard.
And one question that nags at me -- where is the inheritor of Milt Jackson, Lionel Hampton and all the others who worked the Vibes? The instruments that are popular with the kids seem to be getting less and less of a variety.

Then I see this girl with her wonderful special seat while she works 'keyboards' and I suddenly realize these electronic keyboards can be piano, celeste, or many other things, some of them entirely new things with sounds I have not heard before. I need to get away from thinking the old sounds need to be recreated. They still can be heard on recordings. I am sure as the media changes, the old sounds of Fats Waller or Jimmy Yancey or Charlie Parker will still impact on the human senses, even if I cannnot even imagine what technology will be delivering it in fifty years. And in fifty years, the 'new music' will be beautiful, even if I cannot imagine that either.

snailgate

Sue U

Re: All that jazz

Post by Sue U »

Burning Petard wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:41 am
I think I enjoy all kinds of music, but my big love is jazz, particularly old-fashioned, straight ahead stuff. I am so old I heard it when it was avant-guard.

I need to get away from thinking the old sounds need to be recreated. They still can be heard on recordings. I am sure as the media changes, the old sounds of Fats Waller or Jimmy Yancey or Charlie Parker will still impact on the human senses, even if I cannnot even imagine what technology will be delivering it in fifty years. And in fifty years, the 'new music' will be beautiful, even if I cannot imagine that either.
Here's the amazing thing: These kids (and so many of the young jazz musicians today) bring the whole tradition with them and regularly pay homage to their musical ancestors -- just as those ancestors did with theirs. DOMi & JD Beck quote from Bill Evans, cover Weather Report and even have their own riff on Coltrane's riff on My Favorite Things (here with bassist Mono Neon sitting in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3rPiWbVsP4

The kids are alright.
GAH!