RIP Tina Turner

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
ex-khobar Andy

RIP Tina Turner

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

The world is a better place because of Tina Turner; and it is a sadder place now that she has left us. I thought she was indestructible. I had no idea she had been ill.

BoSoxGal

Re: RIP Tina Turner

Post by BoSoxGal »

She had kidney disease for years and received dialysis in her home. According to Cher who I heard interviewed this evening, Tina was very ready to go. It’s hard living with chronic kidney failure.

She was an inspirational woman. Her musical talent and business savvy were obviously par excellence, but to me she will always be the woman who had the courage to get away from her abuser.

Just read this piece which discusses her multiple health battles: https://www.today.com/today/amp/rcna86096

I know she had also lost both her sons who predeceased her, one in 2018 by suicide and the other last year from cancer. Between her own ill health and those deeply painful losses, I can understand why she was ready to go.

I wonder if it was assisted suicide? I imagine they’ll never say, but she did live in Switzerland.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Really a damned pity so many actively ignore their high blood pressure (or in many cases elevated blood glucose) and think they will skate. RIP Tina.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I'll always remember her big hit, "What's blood pressure got to do with it?"

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I believe in recent years she acknowledged publicly that she hadn’t shown proper concern for her health. But she also admitted not really knowing the connection between chronic high BP and kidney disease, and I believe entirely she might not have been properly educated by her doctors. Racial bias in medicine even today is a huge issue, go back decades to when it was worse and there were far fewer physicians of color - it’s entirely possible she was failed in that regard.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 7:10 pm
Racial bias in medicine even today is a huge issue, go back decades to when it was worse and there were far fewer physicians of color - it’s entirely possible she was failed in that regard.
Is there anything that you WON'T turn into a racist or anti-authority rant?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 7:10 pm
she also admitted not really knowing the connection between chronic high BP and kidney disease
I didn't know that either. Good Lord! I'm a black woman of considerable talent and wealth
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Plus black folks have not, historically, trusted white doctors so they failed to get care they needed. It’s a damned shame.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I recall her husband donated a kidney to her.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

True, but it wasn't Ike, it was her second (I believe) husband. Ike doesn't remind me of the sort of guy who would donate anything. I have tohand it to her husband, though; he wasn't a young man when he did it, and major surgery is always a risk, even when you're young.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

So much for all the people who said he was only with her for her fame and fortune - if that’s true, spending 37 years with her and giving her a kidney in middle age was quite an investment in gaining a fortune he’ll have only a few years left to spend.
~ Carl Sagan