Tim’s Vermeer

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
BoSoxGal

Tim’s Vermeer

Post by BoSoxGal »

I stumbled on this fascinating documentary on Hulu last night, really recommend it. The full film is also available on YouTube so no need to subscribe to anything to watch it. I think it is one the engineering minded men of this forum might really enjoy.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Re: Tim’s Vermeer

Post by Joe Guy »

Here's the entire video....

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Super-interesting piece. Thanks for sharing.
GAH!

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

W O W ! Thanks BSG. It reminds me of a documentary on Picasso, the video tape loaned to me by a friend who was a painter. It recorded a painting by Picasso, as he worked creating a large image on a clear piece of glass, the camera on the back side of the glass. and also from the side where the painter saw it and worked. Several times a large area of the glass was wiped totally clean and the composition drastically changed. No commentary about why the painter did any thing. This also does not reveal the 'why' of this long effort. Perhaps it is another 'because it was there.'

snailgate.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I'll watch that later today.

On the same general topic there is a BBC series called Fake or Fortune - it's on You Tube, maybe a few dozen episodes. Reporter Fiona Bruce (who is, BTW, very easy on the eye if you like the sort of thing and I have to admit it had not escaped my attention) and art dealer Philip Mould (same, I am told) try to get unacknowledged pictures, often Old Masters, accepted as the real deal. Sometimes they succeed, sometimes they don't.

Here for example they chase up a suspected Rembrandt. Episodes are around an hour but I have been going through them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQFWdpg ... h2&index=4