Movie Receommendation

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
BoSoxGal

Re: Movie Receommendation

Post by BoSoxGal »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:09 pm

Indeed she did, but shouldn't the part have been played by a real dwarf (of either gender)? Linda might not fly too well today. buddy!
Is this meant as some kind of joke I’m not getting?

Maybe you don’t know Linda Hunt as well as you should.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:42 pm
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:09 pm
Indeed she did, but shouldn't the part have been played by a real dwarf (of either gender)? Linda might not fly too well today. buddy!
Is this meant as some kind of joke I’m not getting?
Maybe you don’t know Linda Hunt as well as you should.
Maybe not?

Linda Hunt played the role of Billy Kwan, a "Chinese-Australian dwarf of high intelligence and moral seriousness"
- Asian Australia News http://aausn.blogspot.com/2010/12/year- ... inlem.html

American actor Linda Hunt played Chinese-Australian dwarf Billy Kwan, a photographer who teams up with newbie foreign correspondent Guy Hamilton
- The Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/j ... orgettable

Billy Kwan : But the one great advantage of being a dwarf is that you can be wiser than other people and no one envies you.
Guy Hamilton : You're not a dwarf.
Billy Kwan : That's what I like about you, Guy. You really don't care, do you? Or, maybe you just don't see.
- imdb https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086617/ch ... /nm0001373
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Linda Hunt has Turner Syndrome, a form of dwarfism affecting only females.

More about the condition: https://littlepeopleuk.org/information- ... r-syndrome

Peter Weir said he cast Linda Hunt to play Billy Kwan because he could not find a male actor with dwarfism who was up to the task. Cry misandry!

eta: Turner Syndrome causes infertility and depresses sexual expression and development in female sufferers, which is why Linda Hunt could pass for a male easier than most females could.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

:arg :oops: :beat

Obviously I meant to say "she ain't Chiinese"..... Googles swiftly . . . . no, New Jersey phew! Yeah that's it. She's not Chinese and not Australian... wouldn't fly today!
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Linda Hunt aside, Meade, I did say there are situations where color blind casting would be inappropriate, but in most cases it doesn't make a difference IMHO. And FWIW, a non white paying Custer as Custer (not an alternative interpretation) would not be a problem for me. I recall seeing a Broadway production of Carousel a number of years back where Billy Bigelow, the male lead, was played by a black actor, while most of the rest of the cast, including the female lead (and their daughter) were white. It was played straight to the script and no mention was made of Billy being black; I enjoyed the production and his performance. A nonwhite Custer could be played the same way.

Sure, some lines will have to be drawn, but for the most part that sort of casting can (and should) work.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

If I may be permitted to weigh in on this subject...?

I believe that an actual, historical figure, for which we have film, photographs, or other documented records of his or her appearance, should be played as true to life as possible.  I don't care if it's King George, George Custer, George Washington, or Washington Carver.   I don't care how good an actor is, if he/she does not bear at least a passing similarity to the character they are being asked to portray, they shouldn't take the role.  And that's why I still feel that, regardless of the critical acclaim it received, the Broadway staging of 'Hamilton' made a huge error in judgement by having Alexander Hamilton (as well as Aaron Burr, the Marquis de Lafayette, Thomas Jefferson, and George Washington) be portrayed by persons of color.

And that sword cuts both ways.  Should they make a movie or stage a Broadway production about Michael Jackson, Michael Jordan, Mao Tse Tung, Queen Elizabeth II, or Corazon Aquino, these characters also need to be played by people who fit the description as well.  Otherwise, we'll be back to the 'good old days' when we were served stuff like this:

JOHN WAYNE as GENGHIS KHAN in the 1956 film, THE CONQUEROR

Enough said?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Big RR wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:10 am
I did say there are situations where color blind casting would be inappropriate
Indeed you did but you added "there may be times when realistic racial casting is necessary (although none come immediately to mind)"

I was merely helping your aging memory with half-a-billion obvious examples :lol:

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I want to say thanks Meade, but I am not sure why. Must be that aging memory or something. :lol:

Bill--that's a valid point, but one I personally don't really agree with. FWIW, I doubt if the founding fathers, including Hamilton, danced and sang their way through their lives in the way the play shows; if we can turn them into dancing girls, why can't they be played by someone of another ethnicity o f gender? Don't get me wrong, I really don't want to see Lebron James playing Napoleon (Meade--I thought of one), but in many cases the racial appearance of the character is of no import. Again, I don't want it to change the story (e.g. I don't want to see Thomas Jefferson coming to terms with his black heritage or Sherman considering gender reassignment surgery), but otherwise it doesn't bother me. Again, once we are comfortable with it, generaly acceptable lines will be drawn.

As a way of example, as a white singer in churches, one thing I have always been uncomfortable with is singing spirituals which incorporate the broken English they were written with (indeed, I didn't really like white singers doing so). But a number of years back I got a summer job singing at a predominantly black church in Newark; I had to sing two pieces each week, one classical and one spiritual, both selected by the music director (who was black). The first couple of weeks I resisted those broken English spirituals, but eventually I relented and they were received well by the congregation, which made me much more comfortable with the songs. The comfort extended both ways, and they were comfortable with a white man singing them. I think the same thing can happen with racially blind casting.