Help me find this Western movie

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
liberty

Help me find this Western movie

Post by liberty »

Help me find this Western movie for BSG: I saw it the other night but forgot the title. An independent woman was born and raised on a Buffalo hide buyer's wagon train and educated by an English tutor. She has to marry in order to inherit her father's successful business. She's been running it for years. She makes a deal with a crooked judge to marry a man sentenced to death. He escapes, joins her and takes over her business since he is legally her husband; of course, being a strong woman she rebels. I think the movies from the 1950s.

It's fictional, of course, but historically there are all kinds of things wrong with the movie. Like, the Buffalo business didn't last that long, and, in the story, she is a Cheyenne Princess; there was no such thing. It existed among the eastern Indians, but not on the plains they're women had no status.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: Help me find this Western movie

Post by Bicycle Bill »

It would help if you could remember the name of the actress who played the woman, or any of the other actors ... or even any of the character names.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Can you not even recall any of the cast? The director? There are plenty of databases we could search with those parameters.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

liberty wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:03 am
she is a Cheyenne Princess; there was no such thing. It existed among the eastern Indians, but not on the plains they're women had no status.
Sometimes your ignorance just makes me wince.

~ person who worked with plains Indians and studied the anthropology of them. Plains Indian women had more status in their society than white women of the same time period had in theirs.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

liberty

Post by liberty »

That is what's so frustrating; I was only paying half attention, but it would have made little difference if been paying full attention. It was a 1950s movie, and I did not know the actors. The male lead reminded me of Robert Taylor, and the male supporting role was played by a man with a long face with black hair that played villains in the 1940 and 50s. If only there was a book of mug shots of actors from the era.

This movie would have made my mama so mad; she loved men but wouldn't stand for being dominated.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

liberty

Post by liberty »

I found it; the movie is Bullwhip 1958, starring Guy Madison as the convicted man and Rhonda Fleming as the woman who needed to marry to inherit. Sometimes I just can't let go of a problem: I don't know if it was worth the time I put into it, but I became determined. I did numerous searches for 1950s Western movies and came up with nothing. I tried looking back in the program schedule, but the program wouldn't allow that. Then I start thinking about the network itself and how they operate. Then it occurred to me that the network might run their movies more than once. So, I started looking through the coming weeks, and there it was: Bullwhip 1958, fiery redhead marries condemned man to inherit her father's business.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Funny; I found it yesterday as well; it was a tough search I kept coming back to. Here's a link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullwhip_(film)

I don't think I ever saw it.

and FWIW, the story seems a lot like a Shakespeare play I saw, or was it a musical?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

It has a 12% audience approval rating on RottenTomatoes and only one critical review which is mixed at best.

A description of the plot line suggests I would find it to be misogynistic crap, especially given the 1950s lens.

Found it available to rent on Prime. Description refers to the female character as a hot-tempered half-breed. The clip I watched didn’t even show any of the female lead, but the acting it depicted was wooden. I think I’ll save the rental fee. What network was it showing on, TCM?
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Big RR wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:43 pm
FWIW, the story seems a lot like a Shakespeare play I saw, or was it a musical?
Reviews state that it has echoes of The Taming of the Shrew, whether intentional or by happenstance, I know not.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

liberty

Post by liberty »

I agree; even though the story was mildly interesting at the same time, it was pretty bad; not only did they get the history and anthropology of the times wrong some of the scenes were filmed at two different locations, and it wasn't a lot of attention paid to detail. But it does show how far women have come in promoting their rights. In the 1800s, a husband could take over his wife's business, sell it, pocket the money, and leave her, and there would be very little that she could do about it. I think some of these attitudes about women existed until the 1950s despite their achievements during World War II.

It made my mama mad that the women in the pants factory she worked in made much less money than the men. The management would not allow her to be a sewing machine mechanic because she was a woman. I heard her talking to a friend about it; she said she was told the men needed those jobs; they had families to support. She said so do I, and I don't have a man to help me.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Things have not changed so much really for most women in this world, and even for those few who have greater access to education work and independence it comes at a very great price. It is still a profoundly misogynistic world and all women suffer from it, just in different versions. I’m grateful I was born in one of the least awful countries and not someplace like India where gang rapes and bride burnings are still commonplace and men very often go merrily about their business of victimizing women without reprisals and often with the full support of other women.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:06 pm
It has a 12% audience approval rating on RottenTomatoes and only one critical review which is mixed at best.

A description of the plot line suggests I would find it to be misogynistic crap, especially given the 1950s lens.

from Wikipedia:
Millicent "Millie" Buckridge Tant is a fictional comic strip character in the British comic 'Viz'.

She is a caricature of a left-wing militant feminist.   She thinks of herself as a champion of "wimmin's" rights but is often self-centred and dismissive of the feelings of others.   She rants, raises her fist in the air and foams at the mouth.   She often refers to men as "phallocrats" and "potential rapists" or just "rapists", referring to other women as "fellow lesbians" regardless of their sexual orientation.   Most of the storylines seem to indicate sexual frustration.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Really BB. I'm thinking that BSG called it about right. She only wrote what she might think of it upon viewing, not what anyone else should think.

It's possible to identify stereotypes and wildly inaccurate historical understanding (whether now or in the 1950s) of the societal goings-on in the latter half of the 19th century without calling for agreement from everyone else.

Sometimes though it's better to be a bit of a Millie rather than an absolute Nellie.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Big RR wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:43 pm
Funny; I found it yesterday as well; it was a tough search I kept coming back to. Here's a link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullwhip_(film)

I don't think I ever saw it.

and FWIW, the story seems a lot like a Shakespeare play I saw, or was it a musical?
Meet-cute rom-com?
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Cute or not, that's a genre I try to avoid.

But I did like Taming of the Shrew (it is Shakespeare), and even enjoyed a performance of Kiss Me Kate once.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Big RR wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:27 am
Cute or not, that's a genre I try to avoid.

But I did like Taming of the Shrew
Um, seriously, isn't that a rom com?
How about Midsummer Night's Dream?
As You Like It?
Twelfth Night?

The gentleman doth protest too much, methinks.
GAH!