Elvis!

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
BoSoxGal

Elvis!

Post by BoSoxGal »

by Baz Luhrmann

Utterly brilliant, I thought.

Did you think so too? If you haven’t seen it yet, you must.

Now I understand why there was so much hype about Austin Butler, too.

https://youtu.be/wBDLRvjHVOY?si=-EgYt-FYelg7Bclb
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Re: Elvis!

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Yep, loved it.

Thought some critics were a bit harsh on Tom's Colonel make-up
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

My husband and I absolutely LOATHED it.

It was seriously awful. YMMV.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Well, there you are. 77% thumbs up from critics; 94% from the audience on Rotten Toms.

It had its problems but overall - a worthy watch IMO

What did you both find loathsome?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:01 am

What did you both find loathsome?
All of it. The out of place rap music. Tom Hanks, who I generally enjoy, was absolutely dreadful- the horrible accent, his creepy presence. Oh and the fact that much of it was made up shit.

If you liked it and support such crap it’s all on you.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I didn't like the movie either. I don't remember Colonel Parker having a dutch accent.

I can't hear it here....

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:21 am
If you liked it and support such crap it’s all on you
Thank you :ok

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Elvis Explosion to rock La Crosse Center this weekend

As timeless as the music by the King, The Elvis Explosion returns to the La Crosse Center this weekend.  The event has become one of the largest conventions globally, with vendors and fans returning to La Crosse every September for the past 26 years.  According to event producer Ronny Craig, four former world champion Elvis impersonators will perform, including movie actor Ryan Pelton.
(more)
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

And here I thought it was Elvis Costello. It's been a lot of years since Presley's last shit.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

People seriously underestimate how much stress a good 💩 can place on the cardiovascular system.

Elvis found out.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Sure, but he did a lot of other things to put stress on his CV system as well. I imagine constipation could cause a major stress also.
Last edited by Big RR on Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The Presley family is generations of tragedy and untimely death. I didn’t realize posting about the movie would lead to jokes about how Elvis died but should have suspected it might.

8-10% of cardiac arrests occur on the toilet. Late middle aged people in prime cardiac arrest age range shouldn’t gloat.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

So where's the joke? As I understand it, it is what happened. And I seriously doubt anyone is gloating--I know I am not.

And, FWIW, when I saw the thread title, I honestly did think it was about Elvis Costello.

As for the movie, I saw it a while ago and it was pretty OK except for Tom Hanks as the colonel--that was pretty much the worst I've ever seen coming from him--idiotic accent and inane dialogue. But what I really didn't like about the movie is that it was a fan pic, no attempt to tell the entire story about Elvis. It made money, primarily (I surmise) from the fans--which I guess is what the producers wanted, but I would rather have seen a biopic of Elvis Presley, warts and all. But that's Hollywood--take steak and make it hamburger.

ETA: Just to add to this, a while back I saw a documentary of Elvis Presley that included footage from his last concert; by that time he lost his voice and moves and a good part of his memory. He was messing up badly, but no matter what he did, the crowd went wild. IMHO, for a musician, even one with little training like him, that has to be horrible. Here's someone who works (or at least worked) at his craft and he could just go out and belch into the microphone and the crowd would scream and cheer. Addressing what that did to him in his later years would have been very interesting. Likewise, it would have been interesting to see more of his army years. But I don't think that's what the fans wanted.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I saw the movie as more of a re-introduction of Elvis to appeal to the current generation and as a way for the Presley estate to continue making money. As someone who likes Elvis's work, especially his early music, a documentary would be more appealing to me.

But I'm not the target audience. An AI created Elvis will probably be next.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

You are probably right Joe; the movie didn't teach me anything about him I didn't already know(and clearly played fast and loose with the truth to suit their story line (I guarantee that Elvis didn't just add If I Can Dream at the last minute to his Christmas show--they would have had to have rehearsed it for the sound, if nothing else, He could be an interesting subject fora move, but this wasn't the one.

I think Sofia Coppolla is finishing a movie on Priscilla; she can be a pretty gnod director (although I detested Marie Antoinette) so maybe we'll get a bit more depth.

FWIW, I was never an Elvis Presley fan, and I get a lot of disgusted looks from Elvis fans when I say my favorite of his songs is In the Ghetto (I get the same thing when I say my favorite Sinatra song is his duet with Nancy in Something Stupid, but I was never a Sinatra fan either), so a laudatoy biopic is not aimed at me.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

If a Priscilla movie makes her some type of saint or hero, I don't want to see it.

FWIW - I had no choice. I was raised to be an Elvis fan. My mother may have been his biggest fan. She once dragged me and my brother to an Elvis concert at Civic Center in San Francisco when I was about 4 yrs old. I remember Elvis wearing a gold suit and everyone was screaming. So I tried to scream but I couldn't hear myself.

10 years later I was a Beatles fan and Elvis was an old guy.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

OFFS WHO THE HELL IS GLOATING? I remember exactly where I was in the house when I heard over the radio that he had died. I recall being pretty upset over it. Liked him a lot and have been queasy over recent things I have read that smacks of pedophilia being an Elvis issue.

My liking Elvis is definitely related to me detesting this stupid pos movie.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Joe--we'll have to wait and see about the Priscilla movie; Sofia Coppolla is a pretty good director, but who knows what she'll do here. Some have already compared it to Marie Antoinette; if that's true, I'll opt out. But there's a lot to make a pretty good movie if that's what she wants. Not sure what control Priscilla has.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Oh ugh. Marie Antoinette was another really awful steaming pile of awful. Thanks for the warning.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

One of the "treasures" in the family attic were a collection of Elvis plates. A lot of classic vinyl albums and some boxes full of photos made it worthwhile to wade through the dust and cobwebs.