Elvis!

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Big RR

Re: Elvis!

Post by Big RR »

The plates and albums might be worth quite a bit; there are a lot of Elivis memorabilia collectors and they'd be easy to sell if that's what you want. Be sure to care for them.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Can any home really be complete without a Velvet Elvis?

GAH!

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Big RR wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:51 pm
The plates and albums might be worth quite a bit; there are a lot of Elivis memorabilia collectors and they'd be easy to sell if that's what you want. Be sure to care for them.
Not necessarily.  A lot of these Elvis (and other) collectibles, like reproduction Hummel figurines, Bradford Exchange plates or other brick-a-brack, or Danbury Mint 'coins' and medallions, were put out in such quantity that there is a seemingly unending supply of these things.

Even the US Postal Service got into it with the 29-cent Elvis stamp issued in 1993 (Scott catalog #2721).   I know a couple of people who thought they were setting their grandkids up for life because they bought and stashed aside a couple sheets of these things, not realizing that the government ended up printing enough of those stamps so that every man, woman, and child alive in the USA at that time could have three of them — which means they're about as common as cockroaches.   That's why one of the first rules of collections to collect something that makes YOU happy to have it, not because you think it's gonna be worth a king's ransom somewhere down the road.

But that's the funny thing about collectibles, thought.  If you've got something — and you can find the one right person in the country who really, desperately wants it — you can show a profit...  and once in a great while we hear a person who did find that one particular someone with a big checkbook and who wound up with first-class tickets on the gravy train.   Good luck finding one.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I recall a song "Velvet Elvis"by ShaNaNA or one of the other 50s tribute bands of the 70s