Lovely snowy Sunday

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
BoSoxGal

Lovely snowy Sunday

Post by BoSoxGal »

I got very lucky with movie choices for a double feature today on Kanopy, the library streaming service.

After Yang
https://youtu.be/Kwp32zLc08c?si=4KNbf6lK4TdQc9RX

Carmen
https://youtu.be/o7-Z05ZzV3A?si=F9PTGM_Heufj94tf

Both are very highly rated on Rotten Tomatoes. I’m still finishing Carmen but no doubt it’s worth viewing. After Yang was a beautiful film, visually, thematically, and a really gorgeous soundtrack.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Re: Lovely snowy Sunday

Post by Sue U »

Saw Carmen a couple of months ago, classic "small film" styling and a good storyline.

I see After Yang is from A24 studios, so that's a point in it's favor without seeing anything more. Will take a look.
GAH!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Sue U wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:28 pm
Saw Carmen a couple of months ago, classic "small film" styling and a good storyline.

I see After Yang is from A24 studios, so that's a point in it's favor without seeing anything more. Will take a look.
I thought of you and BigRR particularly with regard to the soundtrack - it's really beautiful. The sci-fi/humanism themes and the visual esthetic are great too. So glad I stumbled on it, had not heard of it but it was in the 'most watched for 2023' category at Kanopy so I figured I should check it out.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I've been planning to see it for a while; I'll have to check Kanopy.