Music recommendations

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Joe Guy

Re: Music recommendations

Post by Joe Guy »

RayThom wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:43 pm
If you can remember the '60s... you weren't there.

Of course, that's not true. As much as I look fondly upon that era, if I could change anything it would be how I behaved while living through it. I totally destroyed my short term memory.

Besides that, I really destroyed my short term memory.
That's funny. I just read somewhere that short term memory is the first thing that goes if you lived through the 60s.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

This here's The Arts. Then this here's just real artful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4YepLZ7I9M
This guy has appeared in a small venue near here. They've repeated his performance on my local NPR station a couple of times. Tonight I remembered to look on Y'all Toob for it, s'here ya go.

It goes on after the first song. All I listened to were funnier than the Smothers Brothers, an acquired taste from the '60s
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

A song for our (all) time(s)

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

RayThom

Music recommendations

Post by RayThom »

Pink Floyd and the Moody Blues define the era. For me, it's ethereal.

Upon my turning away I hope to be able to play this music in my head in some way.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

If anyone doesn't know where Meade's signature line comes from...

Not a live version (there isn't one, not by this duo anyway), but the original Vanguard recording. Performed in 1965 by Richard & Mimi Fariña (née Baez - Joan's younger sister); written by Richard Fariña and Pauline Marden (née Baez - Joan's older sister).
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

:ok :ok :ok
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

A rock & roll fable...Diane Lane as Ellen Aim.

Vocals dubbed by Holly Sherwood and Fire, Inc.

Let the revels begin
Let the fire be started
We’re dancing for the restless and the broken-hearted...

Let the revels begin
Let the fire be started
We’re dancing for the desperate and the broken-hearted...

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Wow, I've missed a lot of good stuff on the last few pages while I've been on a bit of a hiatus. But before I comment on some of those, right now I'm here to tell you about this video below. If the recording of Bach's Chaconne (from Partita No. 2) that you're listening to is not literally making you weep from the sheer force of its emotion and beauty, throw it out and find one that does; this one does it for me:

(If you don't have time to listen to the whole performance, at least listen to the second half, starting about 7:20 or so. It is simply breathtaking.) The piece starts with an unfair advantage because it's in D minor which is the most beautiful and also the most melancholy key, and also because, well, JS Bach could write some goddam tunes. But Robyn Bollinger's sensitivity to the line, her evocation of the voicings and her emotional arc will melt your heart if you have one.

This piece is part of a series of four chaconnes she recorded -- composed over three centuries -- that brilliantly outlines their relationships and the evolution of the form. (The defining characteristic of a chaconne, originally a kind of folk dance, is a simple repeating bass line that everything else spins off of.) They're all stellar performances, but in addition to the Bach I especially love her rendition of Luciano Berio's Sequenza VIII in this set (composed in 1976). If "modern music" confuses you or leaves you cold, I suggest you listen to Bollinger's Ciaccona project, which will expertly guide your ears from 1676 to 1976. If you can make it that far, it's easy to "get" everything else that has happened in Western music from the middle ages up to today.
GAH!

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Also too if you haven't hard the Goat Rodeo Sessions, here's a little taste from NPR's Tiny Desk Concerts:

Traditional and modern, folky and jazzy and Yo-Yo Ma getting funky, there is something for everyone in this project.
GAH!

Gob

Post by Gob »

Thanks for both of them Sue, much appreciated!!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Sue U wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:30 am
Wow, I've missed a lot of good stuff on the last few pages while I've been on a bit of a hiatus. But before I comment on some of those, right now I'm here to tell you about this video below. If the recording of Bach's Chaconne (from Partita No. 2) that you're listening to is not literally making you weep from the sheer force of its emotion and beauty, throw it out and find one that does; this one does it for me:

(If you don't have time to listen to the whole performance, at least listen to the second half, starting about 7:20 or so. It is simply breathtaking.) The piece starts with an unfair advantage because it's in D minor which is the most beautiful and also the most melancholy key, and also because, well, JS Bach could write some goddam tunes. But Robyn Bollinger's sensitivity to the line, her evocation of the voicings and her emotional arc will melt your heart if you have one.

This piece is part of a series of four chaconnes she recorded -- composed over three centuries -- that brilliantly outlines their relationships and the evolution of the form. (The defining characteristic of a chaconne, originally a kind of folk dance, is a simple repeating bass line that everything else spins off of.) They're all stellar performances, but in addition to the Bach I especially love her rendition of Luciano Berio's Sequenza VIII in this set (composed in 1976). If "modern music" confuses you or leaves you cold, I suggest you listen to Bollinger's Ciaccona project, which will expertly guide your ears from 1676 to 1976. If you can make it that far, it's easy to "get" everything else that has happened in Western music from the middle ages up to today.
Gorgeous!
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Gob wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:20 am
Thanks for both of them Sue, much appreciated!!
And thank YOU for that Jordi Savall concert of Lachrimae Caravaggio. I've been a fan of his for over 35 years (since I first heard his recordings of the Marais Pieces de Viole). I saw him play last winter when he came around on tour with his Concert des Nations ensemble. Great performance and a surprisingly (to me) packed house; I never knew there was such a demand for gamba concerts.

Also, I see you've taken my advice on opera generally and Anna Netrebko specifically. :lol: :lol: Happy listening!
GAH!

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Burning Petard

I think this would make even RayThom feel better.

Post by Burning Petard »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHKM68BZqIc

Got a new computer in May. Among other things it has an algorithm that takes my music and created new playlists it think I would like. I has given me several nice surprises. Like a few minutes ago I tried a playlist the machine called Piano Select. I hit shuffle and the first thing that came up was Not piano. But it was just what I needed at the moment. Gotta go now to a Zoom meeting for 'Survivors of Suicide'

snailgate

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Could Have Been Me by The Struts. Currently being used by a Mercedes ad.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

This one is fricking CREEPY...

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

And for those of us in the west:

rubato

Post by rubato »

Two recent discoveries, both are phenomena outside of all normal experience.

Home Free version of "Man of constant sorrow"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ew_bfFvros

And the otherworldly talent of Angelina Jordan. A combination of Billie Holliday, Screamin Jay Hawkins, Amy Winehouse.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwFloCPXzCs

yrs
rubato

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Country ballad...more than a little inspiriation from Marty Robbins and Chris LeDoux:

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

rubato wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:32 am
And the otherworldly talent of Angelina Jordan. A combination of Billie Holliday, Screamin Jay Hawkins, Amy Winehouse.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwFloCPXzCs

yrs
rubato
After seeing this video I went and looked for some more; she is an amazing talent. Her timing and phrasing are really preternatural. I don't think her voice is really there yet, but would love to see where she is in about 10 years.
GAH!