Music recommendations

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: Music recommendations

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Guinevere wrote:
Weezer just covered Africa - after a Twitter campaign urging them to do so.
Jarlaxle wrote:
In keeping with the above covers of this song... may I present Postmodern Jukebox?

(I apologize that I could not find a live-performance clip instead of this hokey, overblown MTV/"Puttin' On The Lips"-like video with its extremely obvious lip-syncing and pantomime playing.  If necessary, turn your back to the screen and just dig the music, the way we used to do it when all we had were record players and AM radio.)
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

RayThom

Music Recommendations

Post by RayThom »

Here's Bab's new single from "WALLS". Arguably it is sung fairly well but it is way too political. Her target audience -- old people -- are markedly right-leaning Trumpanzes and they are more likely to boycott rather than buy.

The divisive nature of the "us vs. them" theme isn't going to promote nonpartisanship and unity anytime soon.

I give it a "Rate-a-Record" score of 39. Not much of a beat and even harder to dance to.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

RayThom wrote:Here's Bab's new single from "WALLS".
I'm sorry, but that is a terrible song. I'm sure there must be a market for it somewhere, but it ain't make Hit Parade.

I've gushed about Hilary Hahn before, but last week she released a new album of Bach Sonatas & Partitas, completing the set she began 20 years ago as a teenager. I have heard it, and it is fucking amazing. Now at the height of both her technical and interpretive powers, her comfort and familiarity with the text allow for a performance that is phenomenally skilled and deeply personal, really bringing out the complex voicings of the pieces.

I couldn't find a youtube link to embed, but here is the trailer with her playing a bit and talking about the work. It's worth two and half minutes.

GAH!

RayThom

Music Recommendations

Post by RayThom »

Here's Hilary's performance without the voice-over.

Classical music is my favorite, and you can't beat the violin when mastered completely. Hahn does this "almost" effortlessly. I do, however, enjoy the violin even more when balanced out in a string quartet.

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Re: Music Recommendations

Post by Econoline »

RayThom wrote:Here's Bab's new single from "WALLS". Arguably it is sung fairly well but it is way too political. Her target audience -- old people -- are markedly right-leaning Trumpanzes and they are more likely to boycott rather than buy.

I give it a "Rate-a-Record" score of 39. Not much of a beat and even harder to dance to.
On the other hand...here's a grey-haired old Texan ain't nobody gonna want to boycott (no, not even people who say they'll boycott him really want to). Yeah, it's no masterpiece—not that Willie owes us any more masterpieces—but it gets the point across, with good humor...and a beat. You can dance if you want to.

(That's the studio version; if you prefer, here's a live version from his concert in support of Beto O'Rourke.)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

The best from my Pandora channel tonight:

eta: Odd, I'm not seeing the Youtube icon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ncywh_P_8I

RayThom

Music Recommendations

Post by RayThom »

David Letterman on the day Warren Zevon died.

... enjoy every sandwich...

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

OMFG

3:08 - 3:27 is 19 seconds in heaven

I am dead, in a puddle.
GAH!

RayThom

Music Recommendations

Post by RayThom »

I heard this tonight on an episode of CBS's "Seal Team" tonight. (I know, it's a repeat from August but certainly deserves another listening.)

Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler at their best.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Looked up the video to post it here. Understandable why there are so many reaction videos. Took me by a bit of a surprise as well.

Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Hey Gob I bet Lisa Gerrard can't match that range

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Local station is broadcasting AT40 from the 80's.

Woo-hoo!

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Since Wes has been around again

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

:lol: 8-)
GAH!

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Delightful power pop from a bunch of Kiwis; been loving this for the last month or so:

GAH!

RayThom

Music Recommendations

Post by RayThom »

Back to the future.

That's a real toe-tapper.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Thanks Crackpot. They are good and if you don't catch them yourself, the good ones are in restaurants here (DelMarVa) for about $100 per pound.

Meanwhile, what about the local fish shack/restaurants in Michigan?

snailgate.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I wouldn’t know never been much of a fan of fish.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

These guys have been making the YouTube rounds

RayThom

Music recommendations

Post by RayThom »

Thanks, Cp, that was riveting. And in 3D, too. This is bound to catch on... and soon.

Nothing beats an electric horse-head fiddle accompanied by Khoomei throat singing while playing anachronistic rock.

Great stuff.