Music recommendations

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Joe Guy

Re: Music recommendations

Post by Joe Guy »

Thanks for the info.... :ok

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Earphones required for the best experience....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfJWqjoekow

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Stevie's take on an oldie.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:22 am
Stevie's take on an oldie.
This take on a Stevie Nicks song is what introduced me to/got me hooked on Yo La Tengo; found it on a 7-inch sampler in the cut-out bin at my local record store (bought it for the Big Black track also on the disc), it literally changed my life:

GAH!

Gob

Post by Gob »

OMG, Stevie Nicks...

Also a singer I believe.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

Don't know if I've posted this before, if not, pin your ears back.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Something reminded me of this today so I’m posting it and I didn’t search to see if it’s been posted in the thread already, sorry - enjoy:

https://youtu.be/8AHCfZTRGiI
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I was first exposed to Mr. Cash while in the US Army. It seemed every morning as I shaved and brushed my teeth in the barrack's shared bathroom, AFN radio played 'Ring of Fire' I came to hate that song with its' connection to my proto-typical example of everything wrong in my world.

Later I came to respect, even like, his stuff. Some of his very late recordings, like this one, are very sad. The video just multiplies the sadness.

Thanks, BSG, for posting it here, now.

snailgate.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Snailgate I’m glad Econo’s bumping the thread made you enjoy Cash’s cover of Hurt today. I’m going to watch it again, too - soon as I finish this post.

Econo, I loved that video so much I immediately shared it to my Facebook page for my friends to enjoy and subscribed to her YouTube page. What a voice, and those lyrics are great.

By the way I will be spending the next several days revisiting the last year of posts on this thread because since downloading iOS 16.whatever I can finally see the YouTube embeds on these boards again so thanks in advance for all the good music I’m going to experience.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Nice performance of The Story on SNL last night:

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Lovely! 🥰
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I recognize that right now I am in a bad emotional place BUT. Can I be the only one who wonders just what this performance above is really about?
The singer begins with all these lines on my face tell a story. . . I can see no lines at all. Does that mean there is no human story behind this music?

snailgate.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Brandi Carlisle is 41, I guarantee there are some lines under the makeup. She wrote the song a while ago, but the hallmark of talented lyricists and poets is that they can capture universal experiences and themes in beautiful language even at a youthful age.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Written at...17

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Been a lot wet the last few days.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Any 'Classical Music" composers who love woodwinds and brass? Beside maybe R. Wagner?

My local NPR station that I has been my main go-to point on the radio dial [originating source of Terry Gross and Fresh Air] has gone to an all talk and lots of repeats format. They now run 'The Morning Edition' news from 5am to 10am. I have heard the same story twice between 5 and 6am--and it was a story I heard played the previous day in the afternoon. Fresh Air is reduced to flacking what ever celebrity is promoting their new movie or book (or maybe it has come out this month in paperback and run the interview again. They don't even need to be in the same studio, and it is never broadcast 'live' ) So I have moved to the U Penn radio station that runs classical music in the day and jazz at nite.

Now I notice that classical music is dominated by the sounds of strings. I like the cello, but they rarely get more than a supporting role for the Violins and Violas. I really like the sound of woodwinds, particularly double reeds. But brass aint bad, specially French Horn. .The constant sound of fiddles in various sizes dominating the orchestral sound is baffling to me. Sort of like listening to a big pipe organ where most of the pipes are ignored, and only one foot is used to just tap out rhythm.

Any recommendations? This station does take requests.

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I did a Google search and found this link which might get you started off nicely: https://www.classicalregister.com/selec ... -Selection
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

BSG thank you thank you thank you. You have made my new year better already. Now I am motivated to figure out how to put together a play list from this site.

snailgate

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Burning Petard wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:04 pm
So I have moved to the U Penn radio station that runs classical music in the day and jazz at nite.
You're not listening to posh private school Penn (WXPN 88.5), you're listening to the people's radio of public Temple U (WRTI 90.1).
Burning Petard wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:04 pm
Now I notice that classical music is dominated by the sounds of strings. I like the cello, but they rarely get more than a supporting role for the Violins and Violas. I really like the sound of woodwinds, particularly double reeds. But brass aint bad, specially French Horn. .The constant sound of fiddles in various sizes dominating the orchestral sound is baffling to me. Sort of like listening to a big pipe organ where most of the pipes are ignored, and only one foot is used to just tap out rhythm.

Any recommendations? This station does take requests.

snailgate
As a violist, I'm gonna try to not take that personally. (I love the sound of stringed instruments more than any other, although I totally get the woodwinds thing.) But if you're looking for pieces senza strings, you might try pieces specifically for wind symphony, concert band or "wind ensemble." Here's a Wikipedia list of concert band repertoire. The list seems heavily weighted toward 20th and 21st Century works. Of course, if you don't mind some strings in the mix, there's a lot of Baroque era stuff that prominently features winds and brass, including most of the Brandenburg Concertos and I know there's at least one Vivaldi wind concerto. Happy hunting!
GAH!