Music recommendations

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Jay Tea

Re: Music recommendations

Post by Jay Tea »

There's a lot of elements dragging this track/video about, good and bad, but this woman always ensures trouser adjustments are required nonetheless 8-)

Jay Tea

Post by Jay Tea »

I love covers that strip the familiarity of famous tracks, and lay bare the essence of the original you neglect through ubiquity. So there.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Wow, OMITD, now there's a blast from the past!!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Rick

Post by Rick »

Another from my youth:

Sometimes it seems as though one has to cross the line just to figger out where it is

RayThom

OCTOGENARIAN ROCK

Post by RayThom »

What's old is, well... still old. Nonetheless, this ain't a bad effort for the old dame.

Hit it, grandma.

Edited: Ah, this is the one I was really looking for.
Last edited by RayThom on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Rick

Post by Rick »

The new Bjork w/o the synths?

Sometimes it seems as though one has to cross the line just to figger out where it is

Gob

Post by Gob »

Oldie, but goodie, I've just heard on my i-pod. (It's on random play.)
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Rick

Post by Rick »

March marks the 40th anniversary of Dark Side of the Moon...

Gob

Post by Gob »

In honour of his passing...

RayThom

MENTIONED IN THE OTHER FORUM

Post by RayThom »

S.O.D.

This is a real toe-tapper. It's hard to imagine why these guys weren't more successful. I wonder if they ever took their act to Mexico?

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

With a little Slayer thrown in for good measure
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

That BTW was from their reunion tour if you could call it that considering they never toured before that
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Daisy

Post by Daisy »

keld feldspar wrote:The new Bjork w/o the synths?

I really like Of Monsters and Men, I posted the vid for Little Talks a couple of pages back. I think Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir (gotta love Icelandic naming conventions) has a much better voice than Bjork. But like all Icelandic music it's a little bit nuts.

Here's one for you 19 year old Jake Bugg, probably the most exciting UK artist to have emerged in the last 12 months.

Rick

Post by Rick »

Daisy wrote:A little bit of icelandic indie for you all ... and a smashingly mental video.

Of Monsters and Men - Little Talks

Yep sorry Daze...

RayThom

ROAD TO HELL

Post by RayThom »

Chris Rea. A true favourite of mine... after all these years. (BJ74t2qSz0)

RayThom

COMFORTABLY REMADE

Post by RayThom »

Very few covers leaves me as spellbound and wired. Acoustically simplistic, yet it draws me in 'almost' as easily as Pink Floyd's classic. (Best listening with studio headphones.)

Dar Williams and Ani DiFranco:

Gob

Post by Gob »

Oooh, that looks interesting, will check when I get home from work.

Gob

Post by Gob »

I haven't stopped listening to this recording since I discovered it while using the "shuffle songs" settings on my ipod.

RayThom

GOB. THE GREGORIAN CHANT

Post by RayThom »

There's something hauntingly mellifluous about the kyrie and other chants that resonates within the mind and body, even without all the iconography and other religious attachments. It was no doubt the sounds akin to the Solfeggio frequencies -- key to Gregorian chanting -- that initiated mans long slog out of the primordial ooze. I often listen to this genre of music for relaxation purposes. Sort of like TM with an upbeat mantra.

OM...OM...OM...

Gob

Post by Gob »