Music recommendations

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Burning Petard

Re: Music recommendations

Post by Burning Petard »

Familiarity, deep in the gut, is interesting about music. My wife sang in the chorus for the live performance of the 'complete' Handel's Messiah with the
Kansas City Philharmonic for three annual performances before we were married. Her rehearsals went on each Sunday afternoon for six weeks, then shorter (less than three hours) twice a week the last month.Then a 'dress rehearsal' with the orchestra two days before the real thing. The first batch were with separate SATB groups, then together for the rest. She left the first group completely hoarse, unable to do more than whisper. [great supper date that evening--she never asked any troublesome questions.] We have four recorded performances, once with her in there. She hated one version
by the London Philharmonic,[bought because it had great critical reviews.] rearranged for full modern orchestra. Not the changes and additions, but the performance by the chorus. She said they had no fire, very pretty, but it might as well been reading the phone book.

I can identify anything sung by Ella Fitzgerald before the second bar. Same for when it is a cornet or trumpet by Satchmo. Lately I have noticed I can do the same thing with a Sax played by Paul Desmond. For me that is no handicap. Perhaps because personality and idiosyncrasy is of higher value in pop or jazz, compared respecting the source composition. I notice that the big opera productions may do weird or fantastic things with scenery and costume but the music remains nearly constant, at least to my Philistine ears. That may explain why Pavoratti never needed to learn to read music.

On the other hand, the highest reaches of musical performance of any instrument (virtuosity?) have always been allowed to include sounds and variations unacceptable from lesser performers.

snailgate

rubato

Post by rubato »

Y
Last edited by rubato on Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rubato

Post by rubato »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:38 am
Okay, I've only heard the song once, but here's a quick attempt at a short version of 'Try That in a Ball Gown'....
Dance around somebody on a sidewalk
Sing to an old lady at a red light
Show your butt to the owner of a liquor store
That's pretty cool, well we can kiss if you like

Wink right at a cop, flirt in his face
Stomp with your foot and pick it up
Yeah, now show your stuff

Let's try that in our ball gowns
Skip and jump just like a happy toad
Around here we never dance alone
We cross dress fine, it don't take long
For you to learn how, oh please don't say you won't
Try that in your ball gown......
He romanticizing and mythologizing
“Smalltowns” to generalize the sentiment in “ Okie from Muskogee “. On the whole the latter is more successful and does not suggest the magical idea that smalltowns are inherently more virtuous. It is possible to know one town and know what are saying is true; the generalization is bullshit.

rubato

Post by rubato »

The only thing recent which stands out is Sona Jobarteh who is astonishing and the first woman to play the
Kora as a master.

Really, the first.😄

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

cant get the embed to work

https://youtu.be/JgryIvtEFBQ?si=0PTLVFD7V13FeMks

I’ve been listening to this one a lot lately.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Crackpot wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:47 am
cant get the embed to work

I’ve been listening to this one a lot lately.
Fixed.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Just getting around to watching Baz Luhrmann’s excellent film about the king. Had to take a break to watch the full video of this fantastic performance, which I sadly missed by not being yet alive. What an expression of love at a time when we needed it most. Still the king all these years gone by.

https://youtu.be/u-pP_dCenJA?si=2ScRGjGKYGLXSNUM

*I am also not able to use the YouTube embed function properly the last few days, guessing it’s another fun glitch with iOS. I can see the ones that others post, but when following the usual rules to embed it just ain’t working.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

The 4 seasons

Post by Burning Petard »

The local college station frequently plays the 4 Seasons by Verdi. I find it boring. That says more about me than it does about Verdi. However.

I was in the Delaware state on-line library catalog looking for a CD of Papa Haydn's symphony 45, the "Farewell" No can find. However I did find his #21 on a 2 cd set with George Solti and the Chicago symphony. I do not know it--also called the 4 Seasons. I have it now, downloading onto my computer without listening to it. It is a London brand recording but the booklet is not there. Anybody have any comments about it, beyond what I can find on Wikipedia?

Snailgate.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Haydn’s is called The Seasons, not the four seasons (although there are).

Here is a fantastic live performance:

https://youtu.be/6nVUA9k-4qA?si=gjn4s-pcgKOsqqJJ

Sorry the YouTube embed isn’t working for me on iPhone these days.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

After listening to the first disc, I hear it is an oratorio with three solo voice and chorus, not a symphony.

snailgate.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Burning Petard wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:07 am
After listening to the first disc, I hear it is an oratorio with three solo voice and chorus, not a symphony.

snailgate.
Ah yes, I thought you’d gone to Wikipedia where that info was revealed in the opening of the article.

Where it also says “Haydn was led to write The Seasons by the great success of his previous oratorio The Creation (1798), which had become very popular and was in the course of being performed all over Europe.”

The Creation is quite lovely if you have an ear for oratorios. Here’s another live performance worth watching- I prefer to watch classical music whenever possible, for me I guess it’s like other people’s fascination with sports, I love to see the musicians striving in the midst of their achievement.

https://youtu.be/xIpSNMQZH9M?si=pUpngppkfevnEtFm
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Re: The 4 seasons

Post by Sue U »

Burning Petard wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:55 pm
However I did find his #21 on a 2 cd set with George Solti and the Chicago symphony. I do not know it--also called the 4 Seasons.
Like Bach ("BWV") and Mozart ("K"" or "Kochel"), Haydn's numerous works have been catalogued and assigned numerical listings (the Hoboken catalogue). His three oratorios are listed in Volume 21, while all of his 100+ symphonies are listed in Volume 1, which may be the source of the confusion. But honestly, I don't know anyone who uses the catalogue numbers to identify a piece. A bunch of Haydn's symphonies have actual names (The Clock, Surprise, Drumroll, etc., and as you note, Farewell), which is generally how I hear them referenced (but also "the one that goes da da da da dum da-da-da-da-dum").
GAH!

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

In looking around for performances of Samuel Barber's Violin Concerto, I found this sumptuous rendition by Augustin Hadelich and the WDR Symphony in Cologne. It's played here at a slightly more leisurely pace than usual, but it allows both soloist and orchestra to really dig in and sing the gorgeous melodies. If you've never heard it before, the second movement (starting at about 11:30) begins with a solo oboe playing one of the most heartbreakingly beautiful melodies ever written. 10/10, no notes.

GAH!

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

South African cellist Abel Selaocoe and the Manchester Collective do a banger:

He also has a unique take on Bach (Sarabande from cello Suite #3):

GAH!

wesw

Post by wesw »

samson, no p

american rapper

no frills

brilliant lyricist

white

i d post a link but i have forgotten how, and as of my last regular postings, my youtube posting ability was disabled, i believe, i really am too illiterate, computer wise, to be sure.

price hikes.... is a good recent title , on youtube

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Are you on drugs?

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Aaron Lewis, official video...

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »