Music recommendations

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Sue U

Re: Music recommendations

Post by Sue U »

Yeah, I'm liking what I've heard off her new album so far. I saw her in a movie last year (Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far On Foot) and thought between that and her breakup with Thurston Moore (and hence Sonic Youth) she wouldn't be coming back to music. Glad to be wrong about that.

Sonic Youth gets played regularly on Sirius XMU (one of their "indie rock" stations), particularly on the "Old School" show (for obvious reasons). I'm not sure I'd want to see them get back together, though.

But speaking of Kims and band reunions I see Pixies-minus-Kim-Deal have a new album out (heard the single last week and it sounds just like them 30 years ago; haven't decided yet if that's a good thing or bad thing). They're on tour but apparently not coming to Philly, only NYC and Boston on the East Coast (in December, already sold out).
GAH!

RayThom

Music Recommendations

Post by RayThom »

Sue U wrote:... But speaking of Kims and band reunions I see Pixies-minus-Kim-Deal have a new album out (heard the single last week and it sounds just like them 30 years ago; haven't decided yet if that's a good thing or bad thing). They're on tour but apparently not coming to Philly, only NYC and Boston on the East Coast (in December, already sold out).
The Pixies were on Stephen Colbert's Late Show a few weeks ago. Sightly less for wear but still going strong. (If I closed my eyes it somewhat reminded me of The Clash.)

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

RayThom

Music Recommendations

Post by RayThom »

I'm watching "Joy" on UniMas tonight.

This wistful golden oldie is part of the movie soundtrack. I haven't heard this song in its entirety for years. (Best heard with a stereo headset, and with just a touch of acid. IIRC)

On a cold, dark, night in '67 -- about this time of year -- I said goodbye to the young woman sitting next to me in my car who, shortly after, ran off to become an Air Force nurse. The "Buffalo Springfield Again" album -- this song in particular -- was playing on my car's 8-track while we reminisced about our dualistic year together that we had just completed. I feel she actually cared about me, but her aspirations were so far out there, totally out of sync with anything I could grasp at the time. I felt her frustration yet I was so emotionally distant I couldn't articulate. Empathy was not my strong suit.

She got out of the car -- no walking her to the door this time -- and she disappeared from view as she walked up her driveway. Gone shortly after Christmas, and never to be seen again. Once again, another chapter in my book of life came to a not-so-unpredictable close.

(This strong, bright, and promising, young lady died in a freak motorcycle accident at Edwards AFB in '68. RIP, Tina)

As the soundtrack of my life plays on.

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

The woman who walked out of my life is still alive.  I live each day sustained by the hope that she will someday walk back in.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

It's the season again...

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

About 4:15...is that who I think it is...?

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

The E Street Band showing off a bit...

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Not sure who you think the guy that flashed the OK sign at 4:15 was, but 'Paul' (pictured at 2:55 while Joel sings the lyric about 'Paul is a real-estate novelist who never had time for a wife' was portrayed (according to the IMdB listing for the video) by a very young Tommy Lee Jones.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

RayThom

Music recommendations

Post by RayThom »

Here's an interesting little toe tapper. Swans latest release.

Best listening with a studio type headset.

RayThom

Music Recommendations

Post by RayThom »

Harken back to yesteryear.

Aah, aah, aah...

Don't miss the final crescendo that comes to a screeching halt.

End of trip.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Now THAT'S a good 'un, RayT
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

wesw

Post by wesw »

this may be a little l0wbr0w f0r this cr0wd, but I liked it.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Wow. Every once in a while wes redeems himself. Good find. :ok
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Just curious — what's the difference between playing that one-string guitar and playing one of these?

Just fasten a slap-board on the broom-handle and pound out the rhythm on it, and you're all set.
-"BB"-

wesw

Post by wesw »

n0t much.

I came back because y0utube put brushy0neStrings latest in my recc0mendati0ns....

...and it is really blanking g00d, I think.

b0b marley ain t g0t nuthin' 0n this cat...

..."and the ragamuffins sing..., b00m, bang, dang....."

n0t easy t0 understand at first, even f0r me, but w0rth a sec0nd listen.....

and....

I m glad y0u liked it, Ec0n0....

I think he is a l0t 0lder n0w, since the first vid that I p0sted....

if y0u liked the first, y0u will likely dig this t00....

I am surprised that n0 0ne else c0mmented....except bill.....

s0me0ne else has t0 dig this?

wesw

Post by wesw »

my g00dness, I just listened t0 it again, and man, best s0ng I have heard in a g00d l0ng time.

he must be a fisherman.

he g0t s0me jesus in him, this b0y d0.

damn.

amazing.

he must n0t even want n0 wealth, because this shit c0uld t0p the charts easy.

0r maybe he is rich..., idk...

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Live, acoustic...

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts