Books and literature recommendations

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Jarlaxle

Re: Books and literature recommendations

Post by Jarlaxle »

Econoline wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:21 am
Scooter - ?????

I haven't read this trilogy but now that I know of its existence, it's on my "to do" list. I've read and enjoyed many other works by Harry Harrison. From what I've been able to gather, it's not so much pro-Confederacy as anti-British, with the CSA re-uniting with the USA to battle a common enemy. It's no more "pro-Confederacy" than The Man in the High Castle is "pro-Nazi".

:shrug Or maybe you just don't get the whole concept of "Alternative History"?
Don't worry...I doubt Scooter has read it, either. It is DEFINITELY not "pro-Confederacy".

It's not complimentary to the British...though that might be due in part to Harrison's father being Irish, and his living a large part of his life in Ireland.
John Ross for president

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child's latest Pendergast book is our, Bloodless. WOW!
John Ross for president

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Finished Bloodless. Catching up on Eric Flint's Ring of Fire series...just finished 1636: The Ottoman Onslaught.
John Ross for president

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

As I wrote in an other thread, I have been binge reading the crime novels of Robeert B Parker. An ecclesiastical friend recommended I try Loise Penny and her Armand Garmache series. I pulled one off the shelf of my local public library. It was #11 in a series currently at 17. Way too much back story and I just could not get into it. Amazon had the first "Still Life" for no cost to me and I tried it. IMNSHO it is worth the time. Convincing look at a culture very different from my own--Quebec, Montreal, and a tiny village near the USofA border. I am now in the middle of #2 Fatal Grace. One character is a very old woman with a very complex personality. She is a nationally known poet and near the beginning of the story she has a book signing at a department store in Montreal. Her latest book poems: "I am FINE"

Chief Inspector Garmache asks the poet about the title: what does FINE mean? The inspector's wife told him that a word in all caps is usually an acronym.

The poet Ruth tells him with great glee, that his wife was the first to catch that. "FINE stands for Fucked up, Insecure, Neurotic and Egotistical. I'm FINE"
"You certainly are," agreed Gamache

My default answer when asked 'How are you?'' is I'm fine. Now I can truthfully say, "I'm FINE"

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

There’s a film version of Still Life that’s not bad.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

TOO LATE ! BSG. I already have wonderful casting of all the characters of the book, all acting powerfully (sometimes eating the scenery) in my theater of the mind. A cine version would only be a disappointment.

snailgate

Gob

Post by Gob »

Reading Damien Lewis's WWII SAS books, interesting to read the exploits of some very brave men.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Obscure one: Sandra Saidak's From The Ashes is excellent.
John Ross for president