Books and literature recommendations

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Crackpot

Re: Books and literature recommendations

Post by Crackpot »

Started listening to crime and punishment today. Damn is it wordy.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Damn is it wordy.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Russian Literature... :)
ImageImageImage

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Yes, but the optimistic and joyful view of life more than compensate for the length.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

:lol:
ImageImageImage

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

After a bit of a slow start I'm quite enjoying it. The slow start can be explained as setup informing the mind of Raskolnikov. Tho as of most things of an older age you can get thrown by instances that are blatantly racist by today's standards

(Edited after Meade and Wes posted to fix autocorrect of racist to rat)
Last edited by Crackpot on Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Dostey baby! Brilliant writer. HIs "The Idiot" (tough sledding) is among my favourites. Are you venturing into Russian lit or just a one off? Never got into Bulgakov or Tolstoy (!) but that soviet apologist Sholokhov is good.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

wesw

Post by wesw »

I didn t know Michener was Russian.....

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I like to pick up audiobooks of "the classics" if for no other reason than to know what the fuss is about.

Gob

Post by Gob »

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I seriously doubt that ol Cliff can come close to the shear mindfuckery contained in the book

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

It's an excellent book and worth reading - or in your case, listening to.

Meade, you're missing out by missing Tolstoy - the greatest Russian writer ever, and one of the best in all literature. I read Anna Karenina the summer I turned 15 and it was transformative. I've read some of his other works, but haven't yet tackled War & Peace - it's on my retirement reading list.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

wesw

Post by wesw »

yeah, if you want the the best descriptions of men at war that I have ever read, try War and Peace, it is brilliant. of course you have to wade thru the tedium and detail of his descriptions of the court life and the aristocracy, but the tedium and detail of those parts seemed to accurately reflect the reality of that life.

it kinda reminded me of Chesapeake, but better. when it was good it was good but Michener can be wordy, tedious and dry. I d read more Tolstoy, but I ll never wade thru another Michener novel

liberty

Post by liberty »

1. A Thousand Acres by Jane Smith

2. Asycia ( sp= African spear with long spear head) by Wilbur Smith

4. Close your eyes tight by what’s his face
On second thought,. ban this guy for profanity. His name: Verdon somebody

Any of the “Earth’s Children Series” by Jean M Aual
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Crackpot wrote:I like to pick up audiobooks of "the classics" if for no other reason than to know what the fuss is about.
Audio books, the greatest thing ever invented for the busy person; Of course the bum that has nothing to do all day could care less.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Finished it this AM. Good story. Decent body count. Thoroughly enjoyed it reccomend to one and all.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Just been given a copy of this by the mother in law, I like Bill Bryson's work.

In the summer of 1927, America had a booming stock market, a president who worked just four hours a day (and slept much of the rest of the time), a semi-crazed sculptor with a mad plan to carve four giant heads into an inaccessible mountain called Rushmore, a devastating flood of the Mississippi, a sensational murder trial, and a youthful aviator named Charles Lindbergh who started the summer wholly unknown and finished it as the most famous man on earth. (So famous that Minnesota considered renaming itself after him.)

It was the summer that saw the birth of talking pictures, the invention of television, the peak of Al Capone’s reign of terror, the horrifying bombing of a school in Michigan by a madman, the ill-conceived decision that led to the Great Depression, the thrillingly improbable return to greatness of a wheezing, over-the-hill baseball player named Babe Ruth, and an almost impossible amount more.

In this hugely entertaining book, Bill Bryson spins a story of brawling adventure, reckless optimism and delirious energy. With the trademark brio, wit and authority that have made him Britain’s favourite writer of narrative non-fiction, he rolls out an unforgettable cast of vivid and eccentric personalities to bring to life a forgotten summer when America came of age, took centre stage and changed the world for ever.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

wesw

Post by wesw »

speaking of collies....

my dad had an English collie named Booty, who died at 19 yrs old when I was a young boy. apparently this collie was the dog king of deal island , md ,in his youth.

anyway, I developed a love for English collies, which brings me to my book recommendations.

when I was 10 or 11 I found a series of books by a fellow named Albert Payson Terhune, IIRC.

the one I remember best is "Treve" it may have been called "treve, a collie", I can t remember, but I remember that the books were very enjoyable for a dog loving child to read.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Have you hit your head on something recently?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

That might help
Albert Payson Terhune first published short stories about his collie Lad, titled Lad Stories, in various general-interest magazines, including Red Book, Saturday Evening Post, Ladies' Home Journal, Hartford Courant, and the Atlantic Monthly. The first of his novels about his dogs, Lad: A Dog, collected a dozen stories of his collie Lad in novel form. Lad was followed by over thirty additional dog-focused novels, including two additional books about Lad. Published in 1919, the novel was a best seller in both the adult and young adult markets and has been reprinted over 80 times. It was adapted into a feature film in 1962. A man of his time, Terhune is now often criticized by some for his starkly racist depictions of the minorities, hill people, and so-called "half-breeds" that peopled parts of New Jersey less idealized than Sunnybrook
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

wesw

Post by wesw »

yeah, sunnybrook farm....

for some reason I thought that the books were set in England....

oh well, I was pretty young when I read them.