Ray Donovan

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
dgs49

Ray Donovan

Post by dgs49 »

This new program on one of the cable networks is a fairly intersting show (following Dexter on Sunday nights) that "borrows" a great deal from the former cable hit, "The Sopranos." Indeed, Donovan's wife is a psychological mirror image of Carmella Soprano, and Ray also has two homely, pampered, troublesome kids.

Ray is a fine upstanding citizen who commits criminal acts routinely, while trying to make his world a little better.

Different coast, different ethnicity, but very similar scenarios.

Long Run

Re: Ray Donovan

Post by Long Run »

Don't get me started on another TV show. :?

dgs49

Post by dgs49 »

Some of my most enjoyable viewing over the past several years has been when someone told me about a good cable series that had been around for several seasons, and I was able to watch episode after episode, machine gun style, from beginning to end.

So I personally wouldn't mind being pointed to a "new" show that I could try this way.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Have you seen "Sherlock" Dave?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Duck Dynasty.
:ok

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

House of Cards, on Netflix. Great performances, and will reinforce every cynical thought you've ever had about DC and politics.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Ditto on House of Cards. Note, you'll be upset that there is only one season in the bank when you get through the last episode.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Watched the first five or so episodes and I agree with Dgs that this is a good show. In some ways it borrows too much from the Sopranos -- a senior member of the crew with memory issues (like Uncle Junior), FBI out to get him, etc. But the writing is good and the acting is very good, interesting characters flow in and out, his problem solving is novel and fun, and the show has an enticing mood to it. Yes, this will suck you in and take up some of your leisure time.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Episode 1 of season 5 was excellent. Looks like a terrific season ahead.

RayThom

Ray Donovan

Post by RayThom »

I haven't seen an episode of "Ray Donovan" in years. I like how Liev Schreiber's Donovan is a man on the edge with a hair trigger, and in too deep to seek redemption... much intensity, and somewhat scary at times. Also, I've never been a big John Voight fan but he found his mark as Mickey. What a scumbag.

If I could afford premium cable this is one of the shows I'd watch on a regular basis.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Poor Ray has gotten his ass kicked at the end of every one of the last four episodes...

Perhaps it's time for him to consider another line of work...

Like maybe motivational speaker, or Pilates instructor...
ImageImageImage

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

It's been a rough season to be sure. This isn't the end, though, as it has been picked up for a season 7.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I have to say that between her performance in the show as Sam Winslow, and her portrayal of Bette Davis, Susan Sarandon really seems to have the cold, calculating, Dragon Lady persona nailed...

(I wonder if she's drawing on any real life character traits to provide such authenticity... 8-) )
ImageImageImage

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

The Season Finale was

:clap:
ImageImageImage

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Agree. Good stuff. I wonder if the Alan Alda character will be back as a more central character next season (like the way they gave Sarandon a bit part at the end of season 5 and then a big role in season 6). That would be another big plus going forward.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Season 7 of Ray Donovan is now on...

Here's hoping poor Ray gets his ass kicked less frequently than last season... :)
ImageImageImage

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Good start, and the opening montage was well done. I don't think "serenity now" is going to cut it, though.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

May just be talking to myself, but the ending movie was a very good wrap. The take out song was an excellent choice (and a good listen all by itself):

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I need to catch up on the show, I haven’t watched since the season ending with his wife’s illness.

I’m missing Jim after visiting this thread. But honestly I think of him and miss him at least once a week, I so wish he was here to share his perspective on the shit show of American politics.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:43 am
I’m missing Jim after visiting this thread. But honestly I think of him and miss him at least once a week, I so wish he was here to share his perspective on the shit show of American politics.
One of the rare times when I'm in complete and total agreement with BSG, and have nothing more to add.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?