Good advice in any language

Got jokes? Funny images? Your tales of disaster? Youtube links?
Post them and share them.
Let the world laugh with you, (more fun if it's at you!)
Long Run

Good advice in any language

Post by Long Run »

RayThom

OH, NO!

Post by RayThom »

Not the "knakkers."
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Fafhrd

Re: OH, NO!

Post by Fafhrd »

RayThom wrote:Not the "knakkers."
The photo seems to be just part of a much larger drawing. How about something scaled small enough to be seen?

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Fafhrd wrote:
The photo seems to be just part of a much larger drawing. How about something scaled small enough to be seen?
Right click, view image, voila!

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: Good advice in any language

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I post to another site (Buffettnews.com) and they have a forum there that is powered by phpBB as well.  This site does have a tag (like img, URL, font, youtube, etc) for "image size" — [imgsize=].  When you use it, the poster inserts the dimensions at which he desires the image to be displayed.  For an example, take RayThom's oversized image above — which measures a whopping 2,639 × 1,836 pixels.

Now, let's say you wanted to reduce that by a factor of 5 (in other words, 20% of 'actual' size).  You would just use the "imgsize" tab and insert the pixel dimensions you wanted the picture to be displayed, so you would end up with a tag that would look like this —
[imgsize=528,368](*the desired image url*)[/imgsize]
(the first number is horizontal measure; the second number is vertical measure)
— and it would resize the image to the same dimensions as this:

(note that the image I'm using as an example is already sized at 528 x 368; I just found a random image of the appropriate size and posted it for display purposes only)

Sure we can always do the "hold down the control key and scroll" or "right-click and hit view image", but by posting a smaller image to start with it may hold down on bandwidth and the length of time it takes pages to load.  So perhaps maybe Gob or whoever is in charge of this board can see about enabling that tag and adding it to our tool kit.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

YES!

Please! Gob, RB Daisy...if this is an option, we need it!
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Fafhrd

Post by Fafhrd »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Fafhrd wrote:
Right click, view image, voila!
\

Not in my computer. No "View image" anywhere. Only "View" I see is "View source", which is useless.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Right click, view image, voila![/quote]\

Not in my computer. No "View image" anywhere. Only "View" I see is "View source", which is useless.[/quote]

Well I have to actually point the cursor on the picture or I get a "view source" that leads to nowhere too. If you are using windows it should work, if the cursor is over the picture. :shrug

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Not all of us have the same kinds of system. There is NO VIEW IMAGE option when I right click my little furry vermin thing no matter where the cursor is placed.

It is "show picture" - and it is shadowed out (faded out / inoperative / not a selectable option). View source has nothing to do with it as you have pointed out
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

oOoooOoOoooH I get it now, you are probably using IE. Serves you right then. :nana

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Switch to Firefox; it's pretty much idiot proof... :ok
ImageImageImage

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

IE doesn't allow to expand images natively. The "Show Image" menu option is only to load images that haven't been loaded yet (for example, if you "stop" the page from loading before the images finish, you can load them individually. Or if you have image download disabled). FireFox and Chrome both let users view the image alone- Firefox, via "View Image" and Chrome via "Open Image in New Tab".

To make it work in IE, you would have to take multiple steps:

Right Click, select "Properties" Then where it says "Address (URL) you would highlight the actual URL eg (http://whatever.com/picture.jpg) then right click, select Copy. them paste that into the URL bar then Go. Then, and only then, does the CTRL-Mouse scroll trick work for re-sizing the image to zoom in/zoom out.

This also works to save images from sites that have disabled the "Save As" menu option, though not if the site has captured the Right Click menu entirely with a script. More info than you needed to know, of course.

I have no idea if Microsoft's replacement browser "Edge" is more user friendly with images. I've never used it and don't want to dump the old Internet Exploiter off my PC yet because it's useful for some things (as in, I use it as a highly disabled browser with all active and scripted content disabled. The other browsers complain too much when they've been neutered like that, which is almost as annoying as having the active content popping up when you don't want it). Unfortunately some sites have been made so that they won't even load without cookies enabled, and just send you to a page telling you to enable cookies or javascript. The very things I'm trying to not load.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Well that's not right. Control - scroll wheel works perfectly fine on - my IE. Also you can change the view size with that little cogwheel thing up in the top right of the screen. But the scroll wheel is easier

Firefox - schmirefox. I refuse to use anything called "Fox" - I might suddenly become right wing.....
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Firefox - schmirefox. I refuse to use anything called "Fox" - I might suddenly become right wing.....
Then you must not whine when you don't have the ease of use that those of us who have chosen to go with Firefox do have. :fu

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

OK, true, you can expand/contract the whole page with Ctrl-Scrollwheel. That works pretty much the same in each browser. I was referring to just the image itself. When expanding the image to be readable, if you expand the whole page the image starts to truncate based on screen resolution (that's due to the forum software's image size limits and page framing settings), so sometimes it's easier to just view the image instead of the whole surrounding page. Easy in FF/Chrome, not quite as easy in IE.

If the posters used clickable thumbnails pointing to the full image rather than posting the full image in the post, there wouldn't be a problem in any browser. How's that for a solution?
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Use Safari. Log in. Automatically re-sized on any of my iOS devices: iPhone, iPad, MacBook.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I am not a fan of safari on my phone but the whole apple system is off kilter to me. I think it has to do with what you started with. Firefox is so nifty, no ads, no ads especially on youtube, all kinds of wonderful add-ons. I loves it.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

I used Firefox on my last non-Mac, but I'm 100% Apple now (except at work, where I don't have any choice). And at home, I use my iPad more than my laptop now. So convenient.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

OK I just switched to Firefox. Lo and behold, there's a View Image option on the old mouse now!

I don't like the way Favorites (er... bookmarks?) open but I'll get over it

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »